What should I use to shade the roots of my Clematis?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have a clematis that I started last year. It replaced the one that died, and it lives next to an old trellis on the south side, southeast corner of my garage. THIS year it is gosh-darn-gloriously beautiful, with about 2 1/2 foot, 18 inches wide cascade of lovely purple flowers and lots of leaves. My problem? I just removed ALL of the evergreen bushes which grew directly to the west of it. I just found out (via the pros on Illinois Gardener) that clematis's need something to shade their roots!! :barnie Although there is a mini rose just to the south of it, I KNOW it won't be enough to keep the roots shaded this summer when it's hot. Any suggestions? :caf It just POPS out against a white painted trellis, and the garage with with siding.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not to worry- mulch is fine. I have a huge one, that is only in partial sun which I have never "shaded".

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is more an issue of keeping and maintaining the Clematis roots in evenly moist soil conditions around the rootball..Mulched or shaded root zones tend to not lose soil moisture as rapidly than those left unprotected..Mulch around the clematis rootzone with about 3-4 inches deep w/a good Organic Mulch..Keep mulch away from vine a few inches , as to not spread clematis wilt disease..

If you still want to grow something pretty around your clematis roots, try a shallow rooted, low growing annual..

HTH

Ginny

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Quick fix, maybe you could put a few small/medium rocks around it, something pretty like round river rocks. Would also keep anybody from hitting it with the weed whacker (biggest threat to my clematis). That's what I did. :D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A big ol' rock works best, IMO. If you have to WORK to lift it, it's about the right size.

Or if you dislike the look, plonk a good-sized concrete paver on the clematis (on the S side of its root area, I mean) and cover the paver with your mulch.

IME they really do perform better with a big rock or paver for their roots to hide under/behind, and keep the soil cool and *moist*, than without it, although obviously they can be happy without too.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
I have a clematis that I started last year. It replaced the one that died, and it lives next to an old trellis on the south side, southeast corner of my garage. THIS year it is gosh-darn-gloriously beautiful, with about 2 1/2 foot, 18 inches wide cascade of lovely purple flowers and lots of leaves. My problem? I just removed ALL of the evergreen bushes which grew directly to the west of it. I just found out (via the pros on Illinois Gardener) that clematis's need something to shade their roots!! :barnie Although there is a mini rose just to the south of it, I KNOW it won't be enough to keep the roots shaded this summer when it's hot. Any suggestions? :caf It just POPS out against a white painted trellis, and the garage with with siding.
Can we see pics?

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Great to see such a lot of good advice about shading & generally protecting clematis roots. I grow a lot of them & usually have different ones in bloom throughout the year -- I have probably have about 30 different kinds growing through my old roses & other shrubs in my front & back gardens.

I always use large stones or paving slabs over the roots. Every year or so I lift these slabs/stones & give the plant a good feed/mulch of well composted chicken or horse poo. I have a magnificent Clematis montana "rubens" in bloom now. It completely covers the end of my barn. I inherited it as a smallish plant when I moved here. I put large pavers down at the back of the barn to give me a sitting area protected from the winds we get here & since then the plant has taken off. If it is a really hot summer this area gets almost impossible to sit out in so I wet the pavers to make it more pleasant & I have noticed the difference this makes to the growth of the plant & sometimes it actually flowers again later in the year.

Good Luck for a wonderful summer everyone....... :fl We deserve it after this long hard winter !! :coolsun

:rose Hattie :rose

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
WONDERFUL advice!! Thanks, all--I do have some rocks to use for this. Re: pics--it's either feast or famine, though I need to take them soon to reference beginning, middle and end for ALL of my new garden beds, including the north 1/2 of my 10 x 40 bed which is now filled in with raised beds.
So happy to get good advice here, because I don't think I will EVER have a truely green thumb. When I get a happy plant, it's time to celebrate!! :lol:
Thanks, again. I now know what to do. :hugs to all!!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ducks4you said:
WONDERFUL advice!! Thanks, all--I do have some rocks to use for this. Re: pics--it's either feast or famine, though I need to take them soon to reference beginning, middle and end for ALL of my new garden beds, including the north 1/2 of my 10 x 40 bed which is now filled in with raised beds.
So happy to get good advice here, because I don't think I will EVER have a truely green thumb. When I get a happy plant, it's time to celebrate!! :lol:
Thanks, again. I now know what to do. :hugs to all!!
:frow :frow

Hi ducks,
This site should help you with getting nearer to a green thumb, at least as far as clematis are concerned........ :happy_flower

http://www.thorncroftclematis.co.uk/howtogrow.htm *** I have bought very good plants from them & their advice is very good.

:rose Hattie :rose

Latest posts