What squash is this?

windchime76

Sprout
Reaction score
I bought a little plant from Bunnings and the card says button squash, but it grew to become this. Can anyone tell me what is this, and how do I know when it is ripe? Thanks :)
8810_31122011737.jpg

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything like it in the catalogs, it is probably a hybrid. Is it a summer squash because they are typically better when you use them when they are smaller and it keeps the plant producing. I would pick it and give it a try.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe what some folks call a "patty pan" is called by others, a "button squash."

It would therefore be a Cucurbita pepo and that family includes just about all of the common summer squash and . . . . it includes the Jack o'Lantern pumpkins.

Perhaps just to suggest the best crossing, if that is what happened, I'll agree with Chickie'sMoma that it is a yellow patty pan and suggest that the parents of the plant includes an acorn squash. At least, it doesn't look like those miserable things that I've blamed on pumpkins and zucchini :rolleyes:.

It's my understanding that seed companies require their contracted growers to have their squash fields several miles from other squash. Of course, that may be kind of tricky since their suburban neighbors may have squash and pumpkins in their gardens. Bees get around fairly well.

Steve

windchime76

Sprout
Reaction score
thanks to everyone who replied. turns out it's inedible. :p just a thick rind and seeds.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
windchime76 said:
thanks to everyone who replied. turns out it's inedible. :p just a thick rind and seeds.
In that case I'm guessing it wasn't a squash at all but a gourd.

Latest posts