What the heck are these and how do I get rid of them?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My yard is mostly green. But less grass than anything else! Violets, dandelions, creeping Charlie, plantain, clover and moss! If I killed those all off I would have one VERY bare lawn. @hjsullivan I love the vinca. (1st photo) leave it or cut back spots you do not want filled, it makes a fabulous ground cover. I am not sure what the 2nd and 3rd photos are. The 3rd looks like my Mum plants as they 1st break ground in spring. I say neither on is columbine. Here is what it looks like now.
021.JPG

010.JPG

Note the slender stems and leaf arrangement.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The second one doesn't look like feverfew to me. I have it growing in my garden and it has more lacy or fernlike leaves. Does it get any flowers? Feverfew has small white daisy like flowers with yellow centers. I don't think it looks quite like columbine either. But it's hard for me to make out details in those photos.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think @catjac1975 is right about one of them being buttercups. i have that same plant growing near my garden the past few years & this seems to be difficult to kill off entirely. i see the same cluster of leaves as that 3rd pic & they seem to sprout up small yellow 'cups' that then spit out their seed if i don't dead head them early enough.

this seems to be interesting that there are a lot of flowers that are closely related to buttercups that i like.
http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com/Plant_Families/Ranunculaceae.htm

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ugh, i have those too in the same area. if anyone wants seeds from them this year just let me know you i will gladly send some.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
something about holding them under your chin if it reflected the yellow when you said their name you were going to marry them? i might be wrong but it's been a very long time since i remember that.