What to do with weeds.....

almanorigo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
With the sun shining yesterday (although, it is still supposed to be snowy here!) I decided to take to the garden beds. I turned over the first one, took out as many of the grassy clumps as I could, "sprinkled" in the Preen and turned it over again. Did another layer. I can get down into the dirt about a foot. I had five more beds to work on and did the same. Took out old roots of plants the previous owners planted (not a fan of eggplant and there were several!!), removed rocks, and again the grass that grew over the top. With the "stuff" that is left, can it be left in?? I don't plan on planting all of the beds this year. Before I tackle the two beds on the other side of the yard and the flower gardens, what do you suggest? I don't see any "weeds" necessarily (but I am not a green thumb) but a great deal of the grass.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good for you for getting out there and tackling your beds! :)

You'll for sure want to get the grasses out, they'll be nothing but a major headache in your garden, any of the other "stuff" that has seed heads should be got rid of.

The vegetables you mentioned in another post aren't perennial so no need to worry about them coming up (like eggplant etc.)

I hope you used the Preen intended for vegetable gardens. It's composed of corn gluten meal which is harmless to humans, but inhibits seed germination.
The other Preen contains trifluralin which is not a good thing to be getting on your skin, much less in your vegetables.
(It is also intended to be used on the surface and watered in).

If the stuff that's left is just stems and leaves it will probably be safe to leave and let it decompose in place.

If you won't be planting several of the beds this year, you may want to look in to solarizing the soil. That means putting a clear plastic over your pre-wetted soil and letting the sun heat it up and kill the weed seeds. The plastic is left in place for several weeks over the summer. A google search on soil solarization will get you plenty of information about that.

Oh, but you'll want to get all the grass out regardless of what else you use for weeding.
Keep up the good work!

almanorigo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Good to know!! I will have to go check the Preen.............

Thanks for the advice about the plastic. I am all for that idea!

Back to the garden I go..............

almanorigo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was good with the Preen. There are ghosts of eggplant past.......... white carcasses with seeds. There are a few things that are starting to get leaves. I let one go just to see what comes up.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the Preen won't kill roots and runners of weeds that are left in the soil. It only prevents the germination of seeds of certain plants. There has to be moisture in the soil for it to work. Lasts in the soil about 3 months, I believe. (Actually, I think it kills the just barely germinated seed, so it won't grow into a weed.)

Latest posts