What to do...

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've finally gathered enough sheep poop out of the left side of the barn to level out the ground from outside to inside. Now I am starting to have excess.
The right side of the barn, still needs another foot to 1.5ft before it's level and I'll have excess horse poop. Though, I could go around and gather the poop out in pasture. Usually, I just let them break down out there on their own. No issues.

The pasture poops I can collect and the sheep poops I can also start collecting. Or I can start tossing the sheep poop over to the horse side to help speed up the leveling.

Also have rabbits again, so will have their poop, some clean and others with lots of hay mixed in. Rabbits are wasteful creatures. Some of it is 2yrs old, but again, using it to level out some holes around the shed, holes the rabbits dug and holes the LGD has dug. Plus, the large pile I had last year....the sheep ate it all!! *gag*
Needless to say, I'll be fencing off rabbit poop from now on.

Have a few medium sized pine trees that I can rake up some needles from. Where can I use these? I know the wax coating can take awhile to break down and that their more acidic. Should I compost them in with the sheep/horse poop?

Is it best to mix the sheep and horse poop when composting it?

How long would it take if I just piled it and left it alone during the warm season or cold season?

I can gather some leaves in the fall, but not much. The wind blows most of it away and I appreciate that, since I don't have to rake it all up and away from my fencing. But I guess it's not that great, since now I need it for the compost pile. What else can I use instead of leaves? All left over food and food stuffs are fed to the pigs, I will not toss it into the compost pile unless the pigs won't eat it.

I have about 2 pounds of chicken egg shells & 5 pounds of crushed oyster shell. Should I mix this in as well?

After that, what would I need to add to it before being able to plant in it and how much of the additives? Pelleted lime? Something else?

Any store sell cheap soil testers so I can figure out what to add?

What else should I add to these piles, say, if I wanted to start some now and have it ready for mid-spring planting? Or is that unrealistic?

I kind of rather make more of low square or low rectangle piles than one big hill of a pile. That way, I won't have to shovel it all out and place it where it needs to be, since it would of composted where I'll need it already.

Also, I've tried to sell/give away manure from all three animals in large feed bags, no one wants it. So, I might as well try and use it now.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pick up bags of leaves from the curb around town and put them in the chicken coop/run. It goes from 3' deep to about 6" then I dig it out, so they make my compost for me. I crunch up my egg shells and put them in the garden.

Pine straw.....what about putting it in the shed, let the animals poop on it and make your compost? Could you use it for bedding for the sheep?

contact your county agent for soil testing.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't have chickens, no one has bedding, horses and sheep are pastured 24/7. They have access to the barn if they need it, like today because it snowed. I also use hay for an ewe and her lambs if I need to pen them up for a couple days. But otherwise, I don't buy/need bedding for them, they are almost never in the barn to use it.

Latest posts