What to make from....

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
black beans, dried pepper flakes & dried tomatoes? I want to use those in a 'foodie' basket for a Christmas present, but what could the theme be? Salsa? Chili? How can I round this out?

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How about black beans and rice? Add a few cloves of garlic, some onion, cumin maybe some cilantro, with your other ingredients...quick and easy stick to your ribs meal! :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am a foodie and I love baskets :)

i would make a basket of the things you mentioned if the person cooks the simple things from the garden ...

for me if you gave me those things wrapped in a basket I would have a meal featuring each ..the beans peppers and tomatoes all on their own

find a soup recipe you like (for sure try it first tweek it) and then send the fixings along with the recipe and some bready thing to go with it ..also a couple of soup bowls spoons and napkins depending on how much you want to spend?

sounds fun!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
package of tortillas
avocado
lime
cheddar cheese
dozen eggs
garlic
onion

:p

. . . more of this sort of thing! :) Now is the time . . .

Steve

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great ideas! I like the idea of black beans & rice or soup. I make bread, so I could put a nice crusty loaf of French bread with it, too. :drool Keep the ideas coming!!

My other basket idea right now is homemade spiced peach preserves, apple praline bread, home-roasted coffee (my DH's forte), and a cute Christmas mug.

My goal this year is to get/make people stuff that they can USE. What fits the bill better than FOOD? :D

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One of the best Christmas presents we ever got was red beans and rice, complete with seasonings in a quart mason jar. It also came with a package of andoui (however you spell that) sausage. I was almost as excited that I got a new canning jar as I was for the meal! Food is always a great gift. :)

Check out Texas caviar as a salsa theme. I can't find my recipe for it, but I know it has black beans, black eyed peas, onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro marinated in oil and vinegar.

I tend to mix and match ingredients a particular recipe calls for, so I bet what you have would work great.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about tacos or tostadas?

You can add taco shells (sorry, box kind) or tostada shells, cheese, shredded lettuce. You can include instructions on how to cook the beans and mash them. They can either have the beans as a side dish with the tacos or on the tostadas. Avocadoes would be great!

Mary

Latest posts