what to plant together?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
The only time cross pollination is an issue, is if you wish to save seeds. The fruit itself will not be affected...
Exactly! If you would like to save the seed you can always plant them with their companion plants inbetween several rows. Get yourself a good distance between types. Maybe 20-30 feet spread would be good and chances of cross pollination of seed are very low. (Corn would be the most likely to cross pollinate, try planting only 1 type at a time, or plant 2 different types with some space between them... perhaps planting 3 weeks apart so they pollinate at different times.)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not had tremendous success with companion planting, but some people really believe in it. I do think that sometimes it does help. But you have to pay attention to details. For example, radishes are supposed to be good to plant with squash, but what I've read is that it has to be the white Icicle radish, not a red variety. That still did not protect my squash any more than the nasturtiums did, but that is a detail.

Supposedly, it is not just any marigolds that are good but French marigolds.

When you are doing the three sisters planting, consider that the original three sisters were field corn, harversted dry at the end of the season, pole beans harvested as dried beans at the end of the season, not as green beans, and winter squash or pumpkins harvested at the end of the season, not zucchini or summer squash. My sweet corn is ripened before the beans has time to provide much, if any, nitrogen. And if I am in there harvesting things, I damage the squash vines. Just something to consider.

I think a lot of the times, the difference companion planting makes is pretty subtle, not a knocks-your-socks-off difference. I'm not arguing against it at all, just saying that I don't think it will solve all your problems.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pole beans completely overwhelmed my sweet corn when I tried planting them together years ago, Ridgerunner. It was a puny early-maturing variety and, probably, quite inappropriate as a support for the beans, anyway.

Bush beans are a good succession plant for me since they germinate and grow well in summer weather. Harvested green, they mature in just a couple of months. Last year, I was successful at planting pole beans as late as mid-July, but they had a limited season planted that late.

I am curious about my pole beans use as dry beans. I suppose I could try some today but my saved seed is from 2009 and doesn't amount to much. I'll try them this year and hope to plant the pole beans with a flour corn variety, Painted Mountain. That is one robust corn! But, I will still be able to give this flour corn a month head-start before sowing the beans.

I will need to be careful about stepping on my Halloween pumpkins when I'm sowing the seed. But showing up in that patch of corn in late June shouldn't be problem. I'll just have to real careful about getting that calico Painted Mountain too close to the sweet corn.

Steve

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Kassaundra said:
There is a native american way of planting called 3 sisters, companion planting corn, squash and beans.
I am trying that as well this year. The corn is planted in roughly a hexagon shape, with squash plants between neighboring hexagons and beans on the outside. (I found a great diagram in a book somewhere.)

I have also read that the beans should not be planted until the corn is at least a foot tall. I guess you gotta give the corn a head start if you want it to be as supportive as it needs to be.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I read an article this past week talking about the 3 sisters garden was originally the 4 sisters... and it included sunflowers which were stronger for the beans to climb then the corn was.

Perhaps you could combine the original 4 for better results?!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i tend to do flowers in with my companion plants.

years ago while still living with my parents i tried growing zinnias in with my Roma and patio tomatoes and they did wonderfully well with each other! i've had good luck with growing peppers with basil, or using the tomato cages around the pepper plants to grow peas.

i'm planning to try something i read about using morning glory vines on the corn. apparently it helps to attract pollinator insects to the corn!

Latest posts