what to start from seed in doors or in the garden

bugkiller

Sprout
Reaction score
I am just curious about what you guys start in side and what you plant directly in the garden. I am going to try starting my own plants from seed this year. Is there any plants that don't transplant well. I usually plant my squash and cucumbers right in the garden but would I be better off starting them on the house, how about root plants like beets. I can never get large beets. should I be starting these earlier???

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bugkiller, I start most garden plants indoors. It depends on your location but getting a little ahead of the season can help. Some plants (it is said ;)), like cabbage & broccoli, benefit from transplanting. I've started those 2 in an outdoor seed bed and transplanted them later but just go the indoor route these days.

Some things can have "spotty" emergence and that wasted garden space can be avoided with transplants.

Yes, squash and cucumbers don't always have a good chance. You really need to be careful with them. Additionally, they cannot be in containers long since they are sending out roots like crazy!

Root crops? My attempt at starting beets indoors didn't work well at all . . . Setting out starts isn't the way I go with beets or carrots. Nor do I bother with setting out peas and beans altho' I've found that beans, at least, can be moved around fairly well in the garden. I've set out corn but only for fun - those plants also seem to transplant well.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Good advice from Digits there, i would guess i'm half and half between starting things indoors and directly seeding into the garden.

Here's what i start indoors:
Tomatoes
Squash, all kinds
Cucumbers
Basil
Leeks
Marigolds

Here's what i direct seed right into the garden:
Snap peas
Pole beans
Cabbage
Lettuce
Cilantro
Potatoes
Onions

Umm seems like i'm missing some things, that's a short list! But i do have a small garden.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bugkiller, I cant remember where you are located. We have such different climates that well all have different answers. You might go to your profile and stick your rough location or zone there so it comes up with your posts. That does help with a lot of questions.

About the only things I usually start inside are tomatoes and peppers, and often sweet potatoes. I do buy some things that Id need to start inside if I were growing them from seeds, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and eggplantbut I buy starts. I also buy some herbs already started, basil and dill, that I could start indoors if I desired. I have some herbs that I overwinter in place but if they dont make it, Ill buy starts for them too, like oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, and chives.

As far as direct seeding in the garden I have two different groups, cool-weather and warm-weather. The cool-weather crops go in as soon as the ground can be worked, usually late February or early March. For me that includes, from seeds only:
Chard
Kale
Lettuce
Spinach
Green Peas
Beets
Carrots
Radishes

Some things cant go in until the ground has warmed up some and the danger of frost is passed. For me these are:
Beans
Corn
Okra
Cotton
Black-eyed Peas
Squash
Gourds

In August I try to start some Fall stuff. Yeah, start cool weather crops in the hottest and driest month of the year. Thats why I said try. That is usually:
Lettuce
Beets
Carrots
Kale*
Chard*
May overwinter and give me some early greens next spring too but they soon bolt.

In early September I normally seed Leeks. They will overwinter and produce the next year, maybe in June.

Its not seeds but potatoes, garlic, and onions are started in the garden. And all the transplants.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, what everyone is saying. It is a matter of timing, and the timing is relative to your climate.

Things you should know about where your garden is:

when is the last frost usually
When is the first frost usually
are your first few and last few frosts just barely frosts, like 30 degrees for a month, or for how long?
How cold does it get in winter

Then, some things to know about transplanting:
Are you good at transplanting so that roots, root hairs, and stems and leaves don't get damaged?

Some plants are not recommended to be transplanted but exceptions can be made if you are good at it.

Surprisingly, some seeds can be planted outside while there are still a few weeks of light frost. They just need plastic cover or mulch until they sprout. Beets, Peas come to mind.

Kale can be planted at different times of the year, and is tough through winters in zones down to 5 or so.

To find your zone google

garden zone map

lots of books will have it too, and the backs of seed packets sometimes have a small map showing zones, but not very clearly.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Let's see...I direct sow field pumpkins, cucumbers, carrots, beets, peas, beans, corn, turnips, lettuce, radish, and bunching onions.

I start seed indoors for giant pumpkins, peppers, tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi, zucchini, brussels sprouts, and most herbs.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll put my 2 cents' worth in here, too. Indoors, I start herbs, tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, broccoli, sweet potatoes. Things like squash and cukes seem to germinate and grow so quickly once the soil is warm enough to plant them, sowing them in the ground just seems easier, and doesn't stunt them. Same with corn and beans. Personally, I wouldn't try to transplant root crops like beets or carrots.

I preach this all the time: you can use regular shop lights, very close to the plants, to grow stuff inside. Just make sure you keep a fan running, to make the plants sturdy. Ooh! I'm getting excited about starting seeds already!! :p

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I start tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, some herbs and some flowers (mostly annuals) indoors. You can start squash and cukes indoors, just make sure you start them in 3" peat pots that can be transplanted directly to the garden to minimize shock and most importantly, don't start them too soon. About a month is all the earlier you would want to go. You don't want them to start vining out too soon. They'll lose vigor and get root bound. They should only get maybe 4 or 5 inches tall prior to transplant, at best. Also, with tomatoes it's good to move them up to a larger container at least a time or two prior to planting out. Mine end up in large cottage cheese containers full of potting soil with holes drilled in the bottom when all is said and done. You can get them to grow pretty big like that and get a good jump on the season. Or you can plant them smaller from a cell pack...they'll eventually catch up. The other stuff I just leave in cell packs to harden off before planting.

Beets are particular about their timing, which is probably where you're seeing problems with the size. Too hot and dry, they'll not grow well. Too late in the fall with cold/short days, they'll stop growing too. I put mine out in mid-April and early July. Just depends on your location. Your ag extension service can tell you the best time to plant for your area. One thing I've found that really helps with beets is to chit them prior to planting. I put them in a container and soak them in water overnight, then drain and then continue with a rinse and drain a couple times a day until they sprout. Then without delay plant them out in the garden and water lightly once daily for a couple of days until they take off. You will get much better germination that way.

Just a quick run-down on a couple things and my version of how I like to do them. Hope that helps! :)

ETA: Me too, So Lucky! I'm ready to turn a new page, start a new season... ;)

bugkiller

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks every one. I am from Ontario Canada, May,24is usually our safe date for no frost.

bugkiller

Sprout
Reaction score
My plan this year is to start peppers, tomato's, eggplant indoors and I will try squash cucumbers and zucchini indoors and also plant a couple direct in the garden and compare. Thanks for the advise

Latest posts