what to start from seed in doors or in the garden

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bugkiller, that sounds like one of 2 things then:

1. Most likely, poor pollination. Bees and other flying insects are the main pollinators, but it can easily be done by hand. Just pick a male flower and dab the stamen in the middle onto the female flower's stigma...while saying "bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz".

2. Could also be blossom end rot as digit suggested. water carefully, add bone meal to the soil, and the plant should be in well drained soil not to closely planted.

Oh, and some varieties tend to one problem or the other. try a few of several varieties.

Sometimes it only happens to the first couple of female flowers then things go better

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
TheSeedObsesser said:
I had eight plants this year and nearly drowned in it. It can still be grated and frozen for future use though.

ducks4you said:
If you grow 3 zucchini plants you'll be swimming in zucchini...if they live.
Family and friends always beg for flowers. I think more flowers are eaten then the vegtable!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I start my first cabbage (family) seeds between 6 and 8 weeks before the last spring frost is expected and again 3-4 weeks before the last frost. That way they are ready to go into the garden when it is safe for them. Then I start more cabbage family seeds directly into the garden for succession plantings.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Cabbage??? When do you plant this?

Ummm, let me consult my records...oh wait, i dont keep very many! :/ i do remember most of my seeding didnt get started until too late this spring, i think it was the 2nd or 3rd week in May till i got to do anything in the garden. And my purple cabbage didnt really get big enough (large softball size) by our first frost, so must start earlier!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I start cabbage about the same as Linn.

It doesn't get pushed too much here - about 6 weeks. I don't think that any plant "enjoys" freezing. Some take it well. Cabbage needs cool weather and we usually have plenty of that during the early season. Too often it goes from too cool to make good growth to too hot and dry but, one need not be too cautious.

The transplants can go out about the date of last frost and I don't worry much about them. Seems like I do quite a bit of worrying about the plants after the last frost and hoping it warms up just a little . . .

Edited: Oh wait! We are talking about direct-sowing! Yeah, I've done that. With a real early variety and seed right in a little starter bed. Then, I've moved those plants where they have more room. The seeds can kind of figure it out for themselves when to come up in the spring. Early Jersey Wakefield has worked for that but so have others - this was back in my pre-greenhouse days.

Steve

Latest posts