What to use to build a compost bin?

DuckFarm

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi there! I just joined and i was wondering if anyone could give me some hints on what to use to build a compost bin. i would like to use some supplies from around the house, but any ideas are welcome. thanks!

also-if you have pictures of your compost bin that would be very helpful

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I used an old truck bed tool box. One of those plastic double sided ones.

Otherwise, some pieces of cedar, 2x4, mesh netting.... any of those things should work!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a handout from my county extension agent which had a design. Wish I had built it at least twice as big. Anyway, I used bricks and mortar as I had a huge surplus of bricks. You can use anything you have laying around, wood, roofing tin, brick, cinder blocks, wire mesh or nothing, just make a pile. Some material will last longer than others, obviously, but about anything will work. There are many different ways to compost.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use old cedar fence posts for 2 of mine and last year DH got some old wood pallets and built a three bin bin out of it...

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
what to use to build a compost pile.. hmm
manure
old veg (no meat & dairy)
fallen leaves
grass/weeds, etc..!

;) :D

Ok ok.. nothing, it builds itself! Just keep piling it up.. and maybe corral it up when it gets too tall.
Here's ours.. old one on the right in the palettes and the new one building right next to it (left).. eventually we'll put up a couple more palettes around that
101_2872.JPG

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I found a head board and foot board of an old bunk bed in the yard (still finding weird stuff 7 years later). Its made out of really heavy wood. I had my son nail some plastic mesh over the open parts and I am going to use it for a compost bin. I think I will pile up cinder blocks (abundant in my yard) for the other two sides. I prefer the ancient technology too but my chickens keep scratching all the stuff around.

Latest posts