What to use to build a compost bin?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pallets wired together are always popular; or you can use a circle of old wire fencing. Or just a big heap. Or anything fancier you liek :)

Pat

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think the most important part of a compost bin is the piling after that you can get as fancy as you want. I have mine out of tied together pallets and have made one out of chicken wire.

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I turned mine today and there were some nice big fat juicy worms in there. Once the duck figured out there were worms in that pile, it became their favorite hang out for today :D

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use an old city trash can. Works great. I drilled holes all over it with a 1 inch bit, cut the bottom off, and cut a flap in the front. Really easy project and free. Works better than any others I have made over the years or purchased. Fits in good with my trash cans and the red wigglers love it.

I had posted these pics in another thread, but I'll do it again here so I don't have to search for it.

100_1504-2.jpg

100_1505-2.jpg

100_2100.jpg

100_1605-1.jpg

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
I use an ancient technology called a "pile" :D
HA! In England they have a fancy name for that. They call it a heap.

I used to use wooden pallets, like many others, in a side by side arrangement. I'd pile in the refuse and then turn it into the other side, every now and then. Then I'd "heap" clippings and refuse onto that side - and turn it back to the first side after it had worked down. Back and forth it went, with me dumping dog poo along with the turning (with 5 dogs, there is never ending supply). A little water now and then a little lime and well.... there you go.

Then I quit messing about with gardens and all my stuff rotted away to nothing. Well, I've started up some planting again, so I will likely start a small heap.
But thats how I did it. No fancy enclosures, turners or drums - none of that. It was, as Wifezilla says, more of an organized pile.

But I do llike the neat garbage can idea. Im going to see if I can get some of the old ones from the city.

Chiefs Mess

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I was gonna build mine and notice shade in the area. If I cover the pile with tarp to hold the heat will it still break down? I saw bodyfight's pic and there is trees around.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chiefs Mess said:
I was gonna build mine and notice shade in the area. If I cover the pile with tarp to hold the heat will it still break down? I saw bodyfight's pic and there is trees around.
Yes. However, oxygen is required for the process. By covering it too tightly you can impede the process.

Some shade wont hurt anything and the pile makes its own heat. It will still break down.

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
heres my 'bin' .. i used recycled 1x6 fencing boards screwed to 2x4's .. i think i'm suppose to have a front piece, but havent made it yet .. on my list to do's is a double decker composter made with 55 gallon drums ..
6271_img_9975.jpg

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
chills said:
heres my 'bin' .. i used recycled 1x6 fencing boards screwed to 2x4's .. i think i'm suppose to have a front piece, but havent made it yet .. on my list to do's is a double decker composter made with 55 gallon drums ..
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6271_img_9975.jpg
It is recommended that you place something on the bottom to allow air to It is circulate there. I've seen pallets, wire mesh on bricks and even interwoven branches suggested as this foundation.

Something to think about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I prefer this sort of compost bin to the roller drum contraptions. But that's just me.
PS I gotta admit I like the recycle bin composter?

BTW - has anyone used old tires to make a compost bin?

valmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have a line of pallets tied to trees- more of a backstop than anything, so I can turn the pile with the tractor bucket. Old stuff gets turned and moved down the line, medium stuff gets turned and moved down the line and the end is for new stuff. Much faster than turning by hand. It is also my horse manure pile.

(I also have a 3-sided pallet enclosure, but I am attempting to bury and pile up potato plants in it to see how many I can get.)

Latest posts