What type of berry is this????

scrapmom5

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We were hiking in the rocky mountains the other day and came across a berry we could not identify. I didn't have my camera and therefore did not get a pic...let's hope my description helps.

It had two dark purple berries about the size of a pea in the middle of a beautiful red flower. The berry could have been grapes if it were alone...but they were the center of the red flower type petals. I hope this is enough info to perhaps identify.

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I googled for you and look what I found
on Amazon:
The Rocky Mountain Berry Book (Berry Books) (Paperback)
by Bob Krumm (Author)

Book Description

Wild berry lovers, here is your book! The Rocky Mountain Berry Book is the only book that combines the information of a field guide and the fun of a cookbook. Author Bob Krumm tells you in a friendly, non-technical way, how to identify fifteen edible fruits and berries. Chokecherry, elderberry, wild raspberry, huckleberry-all your favorites are here. Plus several you might not have known were edible and delicious, such as wild rose and hawthorn. You'll learn what these plants look like and where they grow. You'll learn when they ripen. And you'll learn the best methods of picking and preserving these luscious wild fruits at their peak of flavor. And that's not all. The Rocky Mountain Berry Book includes 148 delicious recipes, from jellies and preserves, to pies and cakes, to Native American favorites such as pemmican. So stock your pantry while you savor the beauty of the Rockies. The Rocky Mountain Berry Book tells you how!

From the Back Cover
The Rocky Mountain Berry Book combines the information of a field guide and the fun of a cookbook. Learn to identify 15 berry and fruit species using non-technical descriptions, habitat hints, and color photos.

Personally I've no clue what your berry could be, but I bet it's in this book. Perhaps your library has it or can get it.
good luck

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wow Drake, your good-it sure looks like what she described. very good.
It's very pretty, almost like bush honeysuckle berries, but not quite.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is in the honeysuckle family.

I just know because I grow a lot of native plants. :)

scrapmom5

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Drakemaiden Wow! That was indeed it. It is a beautiful plant. You are incredible. I had little hope of figuring out what that plant could be. It was found in the wasatch cache national forrest near a river. I am so glad that you were able to help us.

Now is it edible??? :dance

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments you guys.

I bought a twinberry a few years ago for my garden. They make nice backdrop shrubby plants. Hummingbirds seem to enjoy the yellow flowers and the songbirds often eat up all the berries before I notice them.

Edible or palatable? ;)

Yes, the berries are edible. Though, like many native berries, they aren't all that tasty.

Latest posts