What type of flower is this?

Mammabear05

Sprout
Reaction score
Where did you get the wildflower seeds? Did it have a list of possible plants? That might help a lot, to know what the choices are.

Crush a leaf and see if it has a distinctive smell. That might be really helpful.

To me the shape of the leaf and the red stem says some variety of pigweed. The leaves look a little pale for the varieties I'm used to but maybe a different variety? It's possible it will have some flower you want but I suggest you look up pigweed to see what the seed heads look like. If it is pigweed get rid if it before it goes to seed. It makes a lot of seeds and can be invasive. You don't want it to get established. The variety I had in northwest Arkansas even had thorns, it was painful to pull.

Let us know what you find out.
Family dollar

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like some sort of amaranthus or pigweed to me (but the larger images are not loading).
I agree. The pigweed here has those telltale red stems. It is a wild amaranth, so you can cook & eat the young leaves; they are not bad. In a former garden, I allowed a couple plants to grow & harvested leaves for weeks. Whatever you do, though, don't let it go to seed.

Latest posts