What type of trellis for cucumbers?

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm letting mine climb up our wire garden fence. But they'll have to work to get there (they're planted a foot from the fence).

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah, my cukes got HUGE fast!!!! Now they are covering 2 cages, choked out a slower growing cuke plant and are now covering a bamboo trellis I put up for the canteloupe! Its CRAZY!

However, my cukes now have Downy Mildew...bad enough and ODD enough they sent someone out to take samples?!

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I angled a section of 5 ft no-climb horse fence attached by zip ties halfway up my 6ft chainlink garden fence and staked it to the ground about 3 feet away from the base of chainlink fence. My cucs grow up this nicely and when they run out of field fence, they continue on up the chainlink fence. Our growing season is so short here that I've not yet had a problem with running out of fence to climb.

Texan

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just planted t-post in one row and attached 30 foot of horse fence to it. I wonder iffin I am going to get baby t-post?

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Here's what I'm doing this year.

5917_chickens_038.jpg
[/img]

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big green thumb..I have never trellised cucs, just let them sprall and broke my back picking, do they bear as heavily trellised ??:hu

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
4grandbabies said:
big green thumb..I have never trellised cucs, just let them sprall and broke my back picking, do they bear as heavily trellised ??:hu
I think they do better. The back breaking picking was my initial reason for trellising. I have discovered the cukes will be longer and straighter. Before tressiling, I would often miss a few, then when you do discover them, it's almost too big to eat. With the trellis, I never miss any. It also saves some garden space.

Latest posts