What walking onion am I?

WalkingOnion

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Purchased some walking onions from a farmer at the local flea market, he simply called them yellow Egyptian Walking onions, curious if they may be yellow catawissa? Any input is welcome 😀
IMG_20210522_163451947.jpg
IMG_20210522_163144351.jpg
IMG_20210522_163443373.jpg

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Compared to other walking onions I've seen (I've grown 6 heirloom walking onions) those look a little strange - the bulbils on all were much more prominent. Normally, I would expect to see a cluster of bulbils at the top of each "flower" stalk, with another stem beyond that with either flowers, or smaller bulbils. Although two stalks look normal, several stalks terminate in a single spathe; hard to tell whether those will contain flowers or bulbils. It will be interesting to see how these look in the second generation.

WalkingOnion

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Compared to other walking onions I've seen (I've grown 6 heirloom walking onions) those look a little strange - the bulbils on all were much more prominent. Normally, I would expect to see a cluster of bulbils at the top of each "flower" stalk, with another stem beyond that with either flowers, or smaller bulbils. Although two stalks look normal, several stalks terminate in a single spathe; hard to tell whether those will contain flowers or bulbils. It will be interesting to see how these look in the second generation.
I'll keep taking pictures as they develop and post them! I planted them a few weeks ago, I'll post updated pictures tomorrow. 😀

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i think they just weren't mature yet. like you, will be interested to see what happens next. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
McCullars White Topset is a good onion. If divided during dormancy & Fall planted, they will produce clusters of small (about 1") white bulbs the following season. In the past, I've planted them in the same bed as garlic. I've never tried to do anything with the tiny topsets though.