What We Like about Garbanzo

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
downsize-3.jpg

No, not the legume.

I didn't mean to hijack the garden picture thread - just became curious about fostering & rescuing dogs and was hoping to learn about some experiences.

What we like about the little dog mostly is her love for her mistress. She is a lot of fun when DD is around and then goes pretty serious when she isn't. Takes long naps while waiting for DD but she is generally okay with being left with us. I mean, we all enjoy a nap, now and then.

Having to adjust to new home recently was a little difficult for Garbanzo. No, she had lots of fun exploring a fairly big house and a dog she has known for awhile, BIL's puppy, showed up to stay for an extended visit. She bosses him around something terrible. It was leaving with G'pa & G'ma while Mistress stayed in that place! What did it all mean??!! Was Mistress ever coming out of the strange place so that Garbanzo could be with her again??!

Oh my! She cried all the way to G'pa's house . . . she howled!

The picture above was when she was about 6 months old. So, she was still a puppy but, I believe, she was already within a couple ounces of her fighting weight of 6#. She stands on her back legs to see over the dashboard of the pickup but spends most of her time wedged in the crook of G'pa's left arm so she can see out the side window. Besides naps, going for drives are the best things to do while hanging with the old people.

Garbanzo likes "her people" and tolerates "other people" well enuf. Dogs are fascinating and it is probably a very good thing that she has the puppy around lately. He won't be all that much bigger than she but he must be 12# already and big or small, that's double her size. There doesn't seem to be any jealousy since he isn't willing to stand up to her :/. Still, she is learning more about dogs and being a dog. Garbanzo was an "only" for quite awhile and just turned 3 years old.

Steve

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my corgi Einstein, aka 'Ein', is like that when i go to visit my parents. he's all spunk and loves running off leash in their back yard. gets to meet the neighbors dogs through the fence. if i have to leave him behind for the day with my parents he just sits watching the door for an hour waiting for me to come back and may eventually find a spot to sit patiently. usually he finds my dad to curl up with. he's a cat savvy dog and will try to chase cats if they are up for it, but my parents' 2 cats won't put up with it and he knows to leave them both alone. :lol: he just gets this sad look on his face when i leave.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Babysitting the dog is fun isn't it? Our DD's dog actually preferred our house until they got another dog for him to play with. DD got her first mini-dachshund when she was 9 years old. We called her our "grand-dog-ter". :lol: After she went to the place all good dogs go to wait for us, DD got another mini-dachshund. He is a black and tan and we call him our "grand-dox-son". :gig

Garbanzo is a cutie and I bet she's grandpa's favorite! :love

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Always had dogs, always picked the most outgoing pup. My wife brings this thing home that fit into one hand (& I have small hands) today he is close to 90 pounds--turns out he was 4 weeks old. He is afraid of everything. Had to get him neutered because of it. To this day, still have to watch him around everyone. Seems so strange, never owned a dog that was as devoted to his family as he is. Never have to spank him as a stern word, just cuts him to the bone. One weird dog...............

5662_52512_034.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder if that may be from coming to you at such a young age.

One of the dogs I had was 11 months old when I got her. She did NOT like kids! I guess she didn't like the ones where she grew up.

I always allowed the dogs in the house during the nights. If they were little things, they might spend most of the day indoors in bad weather but even the stock dogs would come in to sleep. She bit my son because he climbed on my bed! She would escape from the backyard just so she could sit on the front porch. She once bit a kid who walked past the house - tore his pants :rolleyes:.

I remember relating the story about the last dog I had as a kid. I grew up - she adopted the little boy that lived nearby. By then, we lived near an elementary school. She "herded" him into the yard and we would go out and talk to her so as to allow him to go on to kindergarten class. Then, she started following him home. She was an old dog. Big difference in that way between those 2 dogs.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I wonder if that may be from coming to you at such a young age.

One of the dogs I had was 11 months old when I got her. She did NOT like kids! I guess she didn't like the ones where she grew up.

I always allowed the dogs in the house during the nights. If they were little things, they might spend most of the day indoors in bad weather but even the stock dogs would come in to sleep. She bit my son because he climbed on my bed! She would escape from the backyard just so she could sit on the front porch. She once bit a kid who walked past the house - tore his pants :rolleyes:.

I remember relating the story about the last dog I had as a kid. I grew up - she adopted the little boy that lived nearby. By then, we lived near an elementary school. She "herded" him into the yard and we would go out and talk to her so as to allow him to go on to kindergarten class. Then, she started following him home. She was an old dog. Big difference in that way between those 2 dogs.

Steve
You may be right Steve. It isn't that he doesn't like people, he's just afraid of them. DD took him to town for ice cream and met her friends. She said he wouldn't get out of her lap. Her friends tried to make up with him but he just hung on for dear life. Too afraid to eat his ice cream.....

He's large and strong enough he could take most anything apart. As saying goes, he could go bear hunting with a switch. Loves to play "keep away" with anything he thinks is valuable. If hauling wood, he grabs it and runs.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out how to convince the DH that we need a dog. Maybe I could surprise him with one for Fathers Day. Our carpets are old and need to be replaced, so it would be a perfect time to get a pet that may need some extra housebreaking. He loves dogs, and is always paying them attention when there is a dog around, but he doesn't want to commit to one. I just know there is one at the shelter that needs us!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
well it's official even though i swore up and down to be a 1 dog owner, gave my blessing today to adopt nola.

Latest posts