What weed are these, do they have any use at all?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know these are weeds, but they have been doing so well in our drought was wondering if there was any use to them and what they are.

7236_dsc_9502.jpg

7236_dsc_9504e.jpg

This one is fuzzy all over, and has a spicy scent when touched.

7236_e.jpg

7236_dsc_9508e.jpg

This one is slick, has sharp burs on the center stem, and it's roots look a little like long radish.

Thanks for any help identifing them.

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The top two green plants look like pig weed, and the bottom two photos with the red stems is not familiar to me.

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The bottom two look like what we call pigweed around here, a plant from the amaranthus genus. Amaranth was an important food crop way back when. The mature seeds were used as a grain.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Pig weed on top, the bottome I know no name for other than pain in my butt. BOTH are currently winning the survival race in my garden.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas the wild amaranth is known as careless weed. It's a bear to pull because of the burrs and deep roots. It thrives in dry soil, not so much because it prefers it as that it has less competition from other weeds there. There's only one good thing about it. It's one of the few Roundup resistant plants that is giving Monsanto fits.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hoodat said:
In Oklahoma, Texas and Arkansas the wild amaranth is known as careless weed. It's a bear to pull because of the burrs and deep roots. It thrives in dry soil, not so much because it prefers it as that it has less competition from other weeds there. There's only one good thing about it. It's one of the few Roundup resistant plants that is giving Monsanto fits.
boo hiss to Monsanto! Score one for stupid weeds.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sparkles2307 said:
hoodat said:
boo hiss to Monsanto! Score one for stupid weeds.
agree:)

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
That seems reason enough to let it live!!!!! :watering

Latest posts