What will be New(!) this Year

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
interesting what people want and what they won't even look at much at all.

today i spoke with about 150-200 people about beans and some of the seeds i had that weren't beans (some peas and a few flowers).

only one of them asked about wing beans and one person asked about fava beans (i don't grow either of those) nobody asked for scarlet runner beans (they were fairly popular last year).

again this year the garlic was all taken. i could have given more away - even if it is the wrong time to plant it. when i packed it away for storage i thought that putting it in a plastic container that was sealed would help keep it dark and so it would not sprout. haha, boy was that wrong. when i opened up the containers the other day they were not only sprouted but the roots on some of them were over an inch long. so to improvise i took some paper towels, cut them in half and the put a bit of water on the towel and then put the sprouted garlic in a small sandwhich bag. i was surprised that there was not that much mold at all in the containers (there were a few small spots but not nearly as much as i expected) - i think this is a good sign that a good strong garlic is helpful for fighting off some fungal ailments... may not cure it but may help in combination with other things.

hmm, what else... well, i can say for sure that when you love what you do in the gardens it is great to talk to others who enjoy it and "get it" too. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
new seeds from today:

- Burgess Buttercup Squash

- Baby Blue Hubbard Squash

- Nonna Agne's Blue Bean

- Takara Early Adzuki Bean

- Cha Kura Kake Soy (Edamame) Bean
- True Red Cranberry (Pole) Bean

- Brown Lima Pole Bean
- Montville Bean
- Pisarecka Zlutoluske Bean
- Purple Diamond (Snap) Bean
- Purple Rose (Snap) Bean
- Venda (Snap) Bean

Last edited:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
So far this seasons new to me seeds are

cream of Saskatchewan watermelon
14” creamy white flesh early.

bloomsdale spinach
Orange sun pepper
Mini bell pepper
Golden cal wonder pepper

DW has some new flowers she has already started. Not sure of all different varieties but several are new. I’m excited to see how some of these perform in our gardens.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
again this year the garlic was all taken. i could have given more away - even if it is the wrong time to plant it.

hmm, what else... well, i can say for sure that when you love what you do in the gardens it is great to talk to others who enjoy it and "get it" too. :)

I can't wait to see my garlic come up this spring. Usually in the fall by the time I go buy garlic I am getting leftover and the big bulbs are gone, but this year I got there early and picked out nice size ones.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Almost everything I have this year is new to me. Only thing I have sown before are the brandywine and dark galaxy tomatoes, and my calendula.

Everything else is new. The thing I am most excited for are the golden midget watermelons. Little individual melons that turn yellow when they're ripe!
Looking forward to reviews about melons.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did not plant any in 2018. I am not sure what I did in 2017, so last fall I went in October and bought some to plant.

i wll mail you some hardneck garlic this late summer/early fall if you want some hardneck garlic. :) it's the only kind of garlic i grow. just remember to PM me sometime this summer so i don't forget.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I must have seen my first Johnny's catalog in the 70's.

My O My, they have come a long way. And, during the last several years, as an employee-owned outfit!

Some varieties offered are their own developments. They seem to work with their New England land-grant universities a fair amount. Some varieties are exclusives but they don't seem to emphasize that. Their seed packets are fairly large and prices reflect that. I have never had problems with orders that I can remember.

Here's their New this Year selection LINK.

Steve

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just dug it up. Shocked....subbing in for potatoes in making catfish chowder.

B31832DA-145C-40B0-BFC7-4868851891E2.jpeg