what will look good in my front flower bed

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i actually think that the leaves on strawberries are very pretty and really would like to plant them in the front garden next to the front door

i have read that onions make strawberries happy so i would like to incorporate that into the same garden

but wht other plants will work good with these to and also be soothing to the eye?

i would like it to look as professionsl as possible since it will be in the front yard RIGHT NEXT TO THE FRONT DOOR

or if you think strawberries and onions wont look good togther shoot another idea my way

thanks so much

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use wild strawberries as a "living mulch" and I agree they are quite attractive... Onions don't look too bad, until you reach harvest time- when they start browning up and getting droopy. I am a big fan of rainbow swiss chard. It is very pretty and delicious. You can harvest it a few leaves at a time- so it is stays good looking. Let us know what you decide!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strawberries do make an attractive ground cover imo. But I personally would not mix onions in with them, I don't think it would be attractive and I doubt the onions would relish the competition.

What are your thoughts for this area? Did you want it be attractive and edible too, or is edible a secondary consideration?

ETA I second Lesa's idea for swiss chard. This is a sunny spot, yes?

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i would like it to be attractive adn edible

it doesnt have to be something you would see in the yard of a 3mil house or anything

the only bad thing is we dont eact swiss chard.....and i dont even think i know what that is....but even if i said the name to hubby.......DARLING YOU WANT SOME CHARD? he would ask if i burnt his dinner up..

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think pepper plants would be really nice as a landscaping plant. Nice green leaves and they look awesome throughout the season. I think a lot of edibles get so ugly towards the end of summer, I wouldn't want to plant them in my flower garden.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
elijahboy said:
i actually think that the leaves on strawberries are very pretty and really would like to plant them in the front garden next to the front door

i have read that onions make strawberries happy so i would like to incorporate that into the same garden

but wht other plants will work good with these to and also be soothing to the eye?

i would like it to look as professionsl as possible since it will be in the front yard RIGHT NEXT TO THE FRONT DOOR

or if you think strawberries and onions wont look good togther shoot another idea my way

thanks so much
What zone are you in?

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i think zone 8 a

catjac1975 said:
elijahboy said:

thanks so much
What zone are you in?

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
dont really wan tto use anything that we wont consume

i dont know how much sun it gest but i can explain it like this.....the sum comes up from the back of the house in the mornig and it takes till noon for the border area to get sun... I THINK AS I REALLY NEVER PAID MUCH ATTENTION

the space is from the brick of the house 2ft out all the way from one end of the house to the other

thistlebloom said:
Rhubarb are ornamental and edible. How much sun does this area get, and how much space are you working with?

elijahboy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
i may just have to be happy with only strawberries huh?

but they are so close to the ground and i wanted to give it some height

Latest posts