What Woman Would You Vote For?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a few silver certificates. I doubt whether I'd be able to turn them in for metal, though. I also like your idea of not having a person's face on our money even though I have no problem with the founding fathers being there. At least it is a small reminder of their sacrifices. There are more Declaration of Independence and Constitution signers that could replace the later photos.

American symbols and landmarks would do well for me. We have one of the most beautiful lands in the world.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can't anymore. They repealed the redemption laws when they went over to fiat currency in 1965. Except for a few commemoratives, if the Mint is striking precious metal now, it's in the form of gold or silver eagles or their subdivisions.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or why one of the things that they want with a total redesign of the money is for each bill to differ in height and width (and ideally, thickness) from every other denomination.

It's all probably moot anyway. I'd say in 50 years or so, no metal or "paper" product will be cheap enough to make money out of economically any way, and it will be phased out in favor of some sort of national citizen credit card (in the sense your money is technically increments of national credit, not a credit card in the sense we use the term, as a loan card)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Which I am of two minds about. On one hand, it could theoretically eliminate inflation since the government could simply adjust people's credit balances to adjust for it (since the card would be everything, I imagine prices could be adjusted the same way) and would probably deal with undocumented workers (if you think they are a problem) overnight (since there'd be no anonymous way to pay them)

On the other hand, it would basically mean the government would always know where and when you spent your money and probably what you bought. And that which the government knows, the government eventually tries to regulate and control.

Income tax would also probably be different. On one hand, I sort of imagine it might be calculated and taken each month rather than annually (since taking it or returning your refund would be a matter of a few keystrokes. On the other hand, I imagine audits would be a thing of the past (if the government actually did know your whole purchase and financial history then there would be no excuse for claiming that there was a problem that YOU had to solve. If Big Brother really is watching you, then he can't admit he screwed up. A total lack of freedom brings with it a total lack of responsibility. And contrary to what Ben Franklin said, if you give up your freedom you have EVERY RIGHT to DEMAND security. Even Hobbes said as much.

Latest posts