what would cause tomato plant to just up and die

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok lets brainstorm.. what kinds of things would just cause a tomato plant to just up and die.. and when my hubby pulled it out he said it just came right out.

it took like one weeks time for it to get very sickly looking

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Verticillium wilt maybe? It makes the center of the vines brown and mushy and can wipe plants out pretty quickly. Tomatos are also susceptible to nematodes, foot and root rot, several different "blights". Most of these take a while to kill a plant so I'm not sure. If you could describe what the dead plant looked like I might be able to find something in one of my garden books. Of course , if it was a very young plant it might be very hard to figure out exactly what caused it. Sorry you lost your 'mater!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
too much or strong of fertilizer will kill it. I did that one year to my whole garden.......talk of dumb. Switched from triple 12 to triple 19.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
This happened to one of my younger tomatoes this week. It started turning brown and withering from the center stalk! It's flopped over now, the leaves are still green, but the main stalk is pretty much gone. I have to pull it up. I've checked my other tomatoes and nothing. So you are not the only one!

My main issue last year, I lost a few small shrubs I planted that pretty much were healthy as healthy could be for a week, then after about 3-4 days they just started dying. Turned out a gopher/mole destroyed the root system by digging through the bases.

It could so many things!

What do your other plants near by it look like!?

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok so the leaves started curling.. kinda wilted curling.. like it really needed water.. then after watering the rest were all strong and healthy looking and this one just withered away.. My DH threw the bush into the chickens so I can take a pic.. but just imagine something with no water..

but it was given water..

looks like this one
5628_100_2382.jpg

this was after watering .. dont mind the weeds they are back :(

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there, :frow

It sometimes happens when you water because the water gets on the leaves & this encourages the Verticillium Wilt. You need to keep your hose low, under the lowest leaves or better still run a soaker hose along the row of tomato plants under the soil. It also helps to have a good mulch of old straw on top of the soil.

I'm sorry you have lost your plant but you might loose more if it has happened to one of them.

:rose Hattie :rose

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bacterial wilt possibly? Fast acting and the plant stays green, no yellowing of the leaves.

Latest posts