What would do this?

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I planted two containers of fava beans the other day.

One of the containers has little finger-sized holes over where I planted them. It's as if I poked a hole, planted the fava, and forgot to cover it up again. And at first I thought that's exactly what happened, but not only do I remember doing it...but there were pieces of fava in another container and in an aisle. I think something ate most of the fava in that one container

My garden is enclosed with a fence made of one-inch chicken wire that is 6 feet high. There is a crack in the door down by the bottom where some foliage overgrew but I thought it was pretty secure from *most* pests, but something obviously got in and did this. So what garden pest would do that?

I'm beginning to understand why my spinach and broccoli raab 'never germinated' earlier this season

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm not sure, but maybe a crow, or other bird, is watching you plant and planning his dinner?

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
But it's covered in deer netting :( Though there might be a gap. I'll have to look carefully today.

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another possibility, however unlikely, might be toads. I have problems sometimes with them getting into containers, 6 cell packs, etc and digging holes. The smaller ones leave a hole that looks just like you poked a finger in the soil and forgot to cover the seed. They can climb a lot further than you would think possible. They don't eat the seeds of course, but they do kick them out from time to time. Just an idea. :)

Rence

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, ok, that's very possible. We have a lot of toads. Thanks :)

Latest posts