What would strip the leaves from a plum tree

pebbles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:
I have a three year old plum tree. It has it's first crop (3) of plums this year. Over the course of a week, something has stripped almost all the leaves from the tree. The leaves have been removed where the leaf connects to the tree. New leaves are growing in, the three plums are fine and the new little leaves and the few remaining leaves look fine.

Thanks for your help!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Could be some kind of caterpillar- you never saw anything gnawing on the leaves?? Sounds like the tree will pull through, at least. Mother nature can certainly be frustrating!!

pebbles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No, can't see any type of bug or catapillar. I thought I should be able to find the culprit because the leaves look like they were almost shaved off, and so fast too. But can't find a thing:/

pebbles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
The leaves are not gone, they are just stripped off and laying at the base of the tree. We have very few deer in this area of the desert and the tree is in an area not likely for a deer to get into.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, that is not caterpillar's then-they would consume the leaves...Does it really seem like none of the leaves are missing? Maybe the tree shed it's leaves due to some stress?

pebbles

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's as if the leaves just drop off but only three or four long branches at a time, the rest of the leaves still on the tree and the three plums look fine, but several entire branches will just drop their leaves.