What would you like to do differently in next year's garden?

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
meriruka1 said:
Notes to self for next year's garden:

1) Do not plant all the beet seeds at the same time.
2) Do not plant all the onion sets at the same time.
3) Change my sleeping habits to nocturnal so I can snipe at deer all night with the pellet gun.
3b) Or, win the lottery so I can afford to buy a 7ft fence for the whole garden to keep deer out.
4)Don't bother planting popcorn unless I'm craving burnt kernels covered in oil.
5)Don't bother planting tomatoes, peas, beans, peanuts or anything else for that matter (except onions) unless I address #3.
6) Buying Squash & Pumpkin seeds on sale means it's too late to plant them.
7) Covering plants with sheets to protect from frost = dead plants and more laundry.
8) Stop buying fruit trees unless I want a field full of bare, dead, pricey sticks.

That's it so far.........
:yuckyuck
Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to keep some of those in mind! :D

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Next year I will have a fence put around the vegetable garden before I plant a single thing.
I don't want to worry about the dogs or the chickens running through there and I don't want to have to keep them cooped up either.
I will be more dililgent about succession planting with the carrots, beets etc.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Try to relax and enjoy it. :rolleyes: I'm making fun of myself, in case it isn't obvious.

Edited for clarification

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would actually like to have one. I'm working on my yard to get the weeds out and reduce the yard to simply dirt. Then I'm going to add compost to make it ready for plants. I hope to grow the following:

Tomatoes
Garlic
Beets
Peas
Carrots
Radishes
and a few herbs like mint, chamomile, and lavender.

brewmiss96

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, my biggest project area by far!!

Put in the greenhouse! I have all the windows, just have to get the wood and start building!

Put in the last raised bed (I switched orientation of the beds for more growing area, but I've got one more bed to complete)

Actually get my spring garden in! I got distracted with the new chicken project, and then didnt' want to put in the starts until I had fencing, and didnt' get fencing until late!

Build up the squash bed!!

Convert the front bed into more veggie space!

Get more herbs!

Put in a blueberry bed

Build a hop trellis

I think that's enough for now!

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I LOVE Cattle panels as they are movable and just work great in a front yard garden as they make a lovely fence , I raise them off the soil about 4 inches so I can just weed eat everything at the dirt when the season is over and then I clean the fence wire, it also makes tilling easier as you dont have to worry about tilling the wire panel so much .

I am going to container grow more herbs,lettuce and veggies that are fast to mature. I am also spacing my seeds and plants farther apart as 15 tomatoes wider spaced & well tended produce more tomatoes than 30 close together tomatoes and so many plants that I dont have time to properly tend them.

Cattle panels make a beautiful arbor as I have a passion vine growing on mine and would work great for Hop's or Grape's.

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am also spacing my seeds and plants farther apart as 15 tomatoes wider spaced & well tended produce more tomatoes than 30 close together tomatoes and so many plants that I dont have time to properly tend them.
That is a really good idea! I have been planting my tomatoes in rows 2 feet apart, about 25 plants per row for a total of fifty plants usually.

Maybe I should also scale back and concentrate on fewer rather than more.

How far apart are you thinking of spacing your tomatoes?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to fence some feeder piglets into my garden beds starting in January and finishing up by March/April and then put them in my unused chicken run and let them plow and fertilize that space as well! Then I am going to plant pumpkins there.

The pigs will root up and eat all the weeds and their roots, fertilize the soil and soften it up for my tiller. Then I'm going to sell them and, if it worked like I expect it to, get a couple more next year and do the same thing.

Plan to scrounge food scraps for them from local facilities. :)

katz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Beavis,
I am thinking maby 3-4 feet apart here as we have humid weather and they need air circulation and also things really grow big here as we have a long growing season.

Beekissed , I also hope to grow Pumpkins and Winter Squash ! ;)

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
katz said:
Beavis,
I am thinking maby 3-4 feet apart here as we have humid weather and they need air circulation and also things really grow big here as we have a long growing season.

Beekissed , I also hope to grow Pumpkins and Winter Squash ! ;)
That sounds like a solid plan for tomatoes.

I would guess we have >250 days of tomato growing season here and that might do well to accomodate their growth.

250 is a conservative estimate, it might be closer to 300 days a year, especially for the cherry tomatoes....

Latest posts