What's all the buzz about herbal medicine?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OldGuy43 said:
This topic reminded me of a friend of mine by the name of Dennis who was into 'natural' remedies. When it came to overdosing he would always point out that "a little bit of arsenic is good for the complexion."
Gypsies in Europe used to take some arsenic every day to lighten their complexions. I don't know whether or not they still do.

Naughty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Check outh 'the herbal companion' it's a great magazine

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advise everyone. I have learned a lot since I started to look into medicinal herbs. While I do think some of it is smoke-and-mirrors there is some great (and wise) information out there on the internet. Very interesting stuff to study.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've known for a long time that herbs would help as medicine... but I just never got into it.

I'm a member of a local livestock group in the area and one of the women is an herboligist of sorts... one of her chickens got attacked and her comb completely ripped off! The poor chicken was in some bad shape. She brought her inside and put a poultice of yarrow and another herb on her head and it stopped the bleeding (I can't remember what she said she used for that one tho) and brought the swelling completely down in a matter of 2 days!

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
. . . I'm a member of a local livestock group in the area and one of the women is an herboligist of sorts... one of her chickens got attacked and her comb completely ripped off! The poor chicken was in some bad shape. She brought her inside and put a poultice of yarrow and another herb on her head and it stopped the bleeding (I can't remember what she said she used for that one tho) and brought the swelling completely down in a matter of 2 days!
What a coincidence, qtpie. I was studying Agrimonia eupatoria L. (Agrimony) just yesterday. It has been used as an astringent for thousands of years. It is used by Veterinarians in many countries for animal operations.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used spider web to stop the bleeding when castrating and tail docking lambs, dehorning cattle, cuts on horses, etc. for many years. I learned this method from my father, who was a Veterinarian, for any time when there is an emergency situation . I also use spider web to stop the bleeding on a cut anywhere on my body ( our kids, friends too ) when out in the barn or fields/ woods. Spider web is almost always within reach in most areas.

Latest posts