What's Bloomin'

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh no! About my favorite flower

Your season is progressing just about the same as here - at the 48th parallel, 2,000' elevation :).

The blacks are still blooming but the earlier whites and magenta (?) are finished. Blacks receive more sun but run a little later and longer.

View attachment 41135

Next to the iris, are campanula. There is a bumblebee there but I waited too long and he is busy in one of the flowers.

View attachment 41134
Here is the very first of these annual poppies, even tho it is very much in the shade.

View attachment 41136Steve
Steve. I LOVE the red fringed poppy! May need to do a seed exchange with you ;) IF you would like some from the Big Orange ones we have. The black Iris I have (only one) is done blooming. They are so striking, I hope it multiplies like the yellow ones have.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
O

Your season is progressing just about the same as here - at the 48th parallel, 2,000' elevation :).

The blacks are still blooming but the earlier whites and magenta (?) are finished. Blacks receive more sun but run a little later and longer.

View attachment 41135

Next to the iris, are campanula. There is a bumblebee there but I waited too long and he is busy in one of the flowers.

View attachment 41134
Here is the very first of these annual poppies, even tho it is very much in the shade.

View attachment 41136Steve
Oh my gosh!! That poppy!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I know, me too! I couldn't believe it, but when something is super common and everywhere, it isn't really considered special I guess, no matter where you live. Maybe dandelion isn't the right comparison, because they don't try to eliminate them, clover blossoms or buttercups are probably more like it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Really? I didn't know they had any weedy relatives? I have to water and care for some of mine, they die if they are on the small side and dry out!

this stuff was mixed in with a blue wildflower mix we used... arg... hundreds of hours spent weeding it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
FullSizeR (1).jpg

Sneaking this in.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve. I LOVE the red fringed poppy! May need to do a seed exchange with you ;) IF you would like some from the Big Orange ones we have. The black Iris I have (only one) is done blooming. They are so striking, I hope it multiplies like the yellow ones have.

i've never had a problem with them multiplying here even with iris borers going at them. my main problem with irises is thinning them out and keeping them weeded. once thistles get going in them it's pretty hard to get that back out again (without using poisons) without lifting the entire garden.

Latest posts