What's causing this with my Corn? 5 pics!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey Folks!

Well my corn is doing great, I've picked 40 ears! Wow, I didnt realize I had picked so much until about 5 seconds ago! Anyways, the first 17 were great, perfectly formed except for a couple worms. The ones I picked today were a little off though. Most either had some missing kernels, or the tops werent formed. Stupid me didnt get a pic of the top not formed, but I did get this picture. Can anyone tell me what causes this? My grandma said maybe they didnt get enough water, Im not sure!

363.jpg

Anyways, Here's the rest of the corn I got today!

360.jpg

23 ears today, I was pretty suprised!

I also got this itty bitty one. It was fully formed, just really short.

362.jpg

And what the heck, here is everything else I collected!

358.jpg

After I took the pic, I collected more corn and a gallon bag full of beans!

And what the heck, here is what I collected on Friday!

433-1.jpg

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Nice haul...your garden is really doing well!

What kind of maters do you have there?
I think I see Green Zebra...if so how are you liking those? Mine are taking forever to ripen!
I see a yellow one is that Lemon Boy? I have a few growing but no ripe ones yet.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice harvest overall!

I'm guessing that it was caused by lack of pollination since the rest of your corn did really well. Hey one out of all that you had isn't that bad, right?

So how did that one corn plant come out? The one with the stripes? Ever produce anything?

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Dace!

Humm... yes, there is a Green Zebra. According to my grandma, they are pretty good. I dont eat tomatoes, so I cant say personally. they look really cool! Inside and out. The orange one is actually a Yellow Brandywine, sure looks orange though, LOL. My grandma loves the pink Brandywines, she said she'll let me know how the Yellow is. As for the reds, the smaller ones are off an Early Girl, I dont remember the rest. We have too many plants, hard to keep it together,lol.

Thanks, Carlos!

Yeah, I figured lack of pollination. That's what I told my grandma anyways. Oh definitely, one out of all is great! I was really shocked at how well it did, since it was my first year growing corn.

The striped one has an ear on it actually! It should be ready to pick in a couple days. From what I could see, its just normal looking kernels inside, but the plant still looks cool.

I might have a picture of it actually, let me see... Nope, I definitely am not finding one! LOL. I'll have to take one on Tuesday.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
Thanks, Dace!

Humm... yes, there is a Green Zebra. According to my grandma, they are pretty good. I dont eat tomatoes, so I cant say personally. they look really cool! Inside and out. The orange one is actually a Yellow Brandywine, sure looks orange though, LOL. My grandma loves the pink Brandywines, she said she'll let me know how the Yellow is. As for the reds, the smaller ones are off an Early Girl, I dont remember the rest. We have too many plants, hard to keep it together,lol.

Thanks, Carlos!

Yeah, I figured lack of pollination. That's what I told my grandma anyways. Oh definitely, one out of all is great! I was really shocked at how well it did, since it was my first year growing corn.

The striped one has an ear on it actually! It should be ready to pick in a couple days. From what I could see, its just normal looking kernels inside, but the plant still looks cool.

I might have a picture of it actually, let me see... Nope, I definitely am not finding one! LOL. I'll have to take one on Tuesday.
It's good to see that your first crop turn out so well Jordan.

Tell your grandma she knows her tomatoes! Pink Brandywine is one of my favorites!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks, Carlos. Im pretty proud.

Sure will! I've always heard good things about Brandywines, and she definitely loves hers! I love the Brandywine plants, personally. I think the leaves are gorgeous.

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jordan your haul looks good. I know your grandma is so proud of you, what grandma wouldn't be. Keep doing what your doing it pays off big time...

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 2 Brandywines, one has produced NOTHING! I have a few smallish green maters on but they are growing slowly! I also have a pink which I planted much later, so no fruit yet but now I am excited ...if it is your Grandma & Oakland's favorite I am sure I will love it!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank You, Laura! I appreciate your nice comments.

Natalie, that is my grandma's rat of a dog. I really cant stand the thing. She likes to chase my cats and torment my pigeons. She attacked one of my cats yesterday and I had to chase her around the yard with a flip flop trying to smack her butt,lol.

Dace, I didnt realize Brandywines were a later producer, so I didnt think we were getting any either! Everything else was putting on tomatoes, and the Brandywine was just getting bigger. I finally found a tomato on it, and now its loaded.

Latest posts