What's causing this with my Corn? 5 pics!

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
theOEGBman said:
Thank You, Laura! I appreciate your nice comments.

Natalie, that is my grandma's rat of a dog. I really cant stand the thing. She likes to chase my cats and torment my pigeons. She attacked one of my cats yesterday and I had to chase her around the yard with a flip flop trying to smack her butt,lol.

Dace, I didnt realize Brandywines were a later producer, so I didnt think we were getting any either! Everything else was putting on tomatoes, and the Brandywine was just getting bigger. I finally found a tomato on it, and now its loaded.
Well I have been very patient so I hope my wait will be worth it! I do love the plant though, so tall with those nice big leaves :)

Seahound

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Really nice pictures. Youve done really well for yourself. I like how you confide in your grandma for advice & knowledge. Grandmas are great !

Im new here and a first time gardner.

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
ShellieESterling said:
Everytime I see your garden, I drool... :lol:
I agree with Shellie! Your garden is absolutely drool inducing! Keep up your terrific work!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love the plants as well, Dace. My brandywines keep getting a funky looking brown spot on the bottom, and my grandma said it isnt leaving much of the tomato to eat. She said they are great, but its kind of a pain having to cut around the spot. I'll have to take a pic and see what is up.

Thanks, Seahound! My grandma is my hero, I would accomplish nothing without her. They definitely rock!

:gig Thanks, Shellie!!

Thanks, Sarah!

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I am certainly no expert but that may be blossom end rot. Add some crushed eggshells to the soil around the base of your Brandywines.

When I planted all of my toms this year, I added a small handful of calcium to the soil and I have not had the problem at all. The egg shell will give your toms a little calcium boost and may help with the end rot...if that is what it is! I am sure someone else will jump in if i am off track!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dace, that was my first thought as well. My grandma said it had something to do with the blossom, so maybe that is it.

I will defiinitely do that! We feed the cats eggs every day when I collect them, and being the white trash we are *LOL*, I just toss the shells in a box next to the feed dish, so I can just grab some and take them out there!

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Maybe I missed the answer to the orignal q, but uneven kernals like that means that they didn't all get pollinated. Only the pollinated kernels will grow. Usually, if you plant in big blocks, they should be fine. Things that can cause uneven fertilization would be lack of water causing the pollen spores to dry out before reaching the silk, over head watering that knocked the pollen right past the silks, or just plain bad luck with pollen reaching the silks (ie bugs eating the silk early on)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picture 3 is beer bottle syndrome. Caused by cool nights. If you looked at silks, you would see silk balling as well.

pollination problem on first picture is probably insects feeding on silk..RW beetles and japs are best bets.