What's eating my peas?

Connor434

Sprout
Reaction score
As far as I know, they are often pests. I don't really know what to think about this.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I put a big bowl out flipped upside down next to the eaten pea plants and SEVERAL very fat slugs were hiding under there. War shall begin shortly.
That's great! 👍 I used to have a terrible slug problem in my garden. Another trick that sounds funny, but works is this: get a bunch of mini Dixie cups and some cheap beer. Sink the Dixie cups in dirt up to the rim and fill 3/4 full with beer. Place several of these cups around the affected garden plants. Wait for the slugs to drown in the beer!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's great! 👍 I used to have a terrible slug problem in my garden. Another trick that sounds funny, but works is this: get a bunch of mini Dixie cups and some cheap beer. Sink the Dixie cups in dirt up to the rim and fill 3/4 full with beer. Place several of these cups around the affected garden plants. Wait for the slugs to drown in the beer!
I've heard of this! I did it last year and caught a few slugs, about the same amount as I found under the bowl. I also read somewhere that it can attract slugs from as far away as 200 yards! The article I read didn't recommend it because you may inadvertently attract more slugs to your garden because all your neighbor's slugs packed up their bag and headed to your garden for beer night.

I don't think it will matter too much since I'm trapping them months in advance of the real garden, but I'd rather not end up increasing my slug supply. Do you notice an increase of slugs when you do this?

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've heard of this! I did it last year and caught a few slugs, about the same amount as I found under the bowl. I also read somewhere that it can attract slugs from as far away as 200 yards! The article I read didn't recommend it because you may inadvertently attract more slugs to your garden because all your neighbor's slugs packed up their bag and headed to your garden for beer night.

I don't think it will matter too much since I'm trapping them months in advance of the real garden, but I'd rather not end up increasing my slug supply. Do you notice an increase of slugs when you do this?
I didn't think of that! Lol! It helped in my little garden. It was in a fenced backyard so the neighbor slugs couldn't get to my veggies!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't think of that! Lol! It helped in my little garden. It was in a fenced backyard so the neighbor slugs couldn't get to my veggies!
Hmm, if I attract them to the backyard I can release the chickens on them. I'll be doing a favor for the entire neighborhood, giving my chickens some added protein, and it won't matter how many come. 100% will be deliciously consumed.

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hmm, if I attract them to the backyard I can release the chickens on them. I'll be doing a favor for the entire neighborhood, giving my chickens some added protein, and it won't matter how many come. 100% will be deliciously consumed.
Great idea! My coworker has a really cool garden setup where she has these raised garden beds and has chickens poking around the beds eating all of the bugs! It's so perfect! I should have lived in a place where I could have chickens! Then slugs would be welcome and I could save on beer! Lol!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
The beer really works. I had slugs at my old house where I grew 6 ft tall tomatoes where nobody should be able to do, We had slugs, I provided them with cheap beer, and then there were none.

Latest posts