Whats Going On With Pears

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOL Red thats my Luck could only be 4 square miles and my house would be right in middle. The cedar apple rust i have had for a few years, i have a lot of crabapples. Christmas tree farm across street. Well good thing I love the spring flowers on fruit trees. I have a breeding population of turtle on endangered specie list, Blanding turtle from west coast, with small population in Dutchess county. Some how this rare turtle made it across country .

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Growing good fruit is hard. I am going to have to go down to the ag extension and have a talk with my agent about what/how/when to spray. I lost 2 apple trees to fireblight last year. It is devastating and mostly unpreventable.

pakozy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
"In the United States, stony pit is not known outside of the North west" and in a small section of New York state.
Hi, I'm new to blogging, so be kind. I am in SE Wisconsin and have had trouble with stony pit on my Bartlett pear tree for 2-3 years. I have just one tree. According to what I have read, there is no cure. However, Bartlett aren't supposed to get stony pit. Either the tag was wrong on the tree when I bought it 14 years ago or it spreads to Bartlett too.

Last edited:

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the gang, @pakozy, from another resident behind the cheddar curtain! Glad to have you growing with us.

My comment on Stony Pit came from internet research regarding it being found only in the North West. I added Nyboy's orchard with no research to back me up because he suggested it was in his pears.

Where in the South East do you make your abode?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, Pakozy, and welcome. We are mostly a kind bunch here. I know nothing about pears or stony pit, but I hope you get it figured out.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to blogging, so be kind. I am in SE Wisconsin and have had trouble with stony pit for 2-3 years. I have just one tree. According to what I have read, there is no cure. However, Bartlett aren't supposed to get stony pit. Either the tag was wrong on the tree when I bought it 14 years ago or it spreads to Bartlett too.

welcome @pakozy if you can post a photo of the fruit ..

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome you will like it here, don't worry about people judging you from your posts. I make mistakes all the time. Great group of people here!! Work has been so busy I haven't even glanced at my pears.

pakozy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Welcome to the gang, @pakozy, from another resident behind the cheddar curtain! Glad to have you growing with us.

My comment on Stony Pit came from internet research regarding it being found only in the North West. I added Nyboy's orchard with no research to back me up because he suggested it was in his pears.

Where in the South East do you make your abode?

pakozy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm in SE Milwaukee County. I'll send a picture if I can get my son to help me. The best pears are out of reach but even the big ones have at least one pit. At least half of the crop isn't salvageable. I haven't sprayed ever, and I also have some scab and coddling moths. I would like to prune the tree to a more manageable size. Fortunately I mostly bake and make pear sauce, but it would be nice to have more eating pears.

Last edited:

Latest posts