What's in your flock?

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
DSC_0110_edited-1.jpg

This is Rudy named after the Notre Dame football player that rose above every obstical in his way.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dr. Bramwell, a chicken expert at the University of Arkansas, said if someone could raise a chick like that, they can raise any chick. He’s hatched featherless chicks like that. It’s extremely difficult to keep them warm enough.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Awww :love That is so sweet that you helped the little guy. I hope his feathers grow in normally.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dr. Bramwell, a chicken expert at the University of Arkansas, said if someone could raise a chick like that, they can raise any chick. He’s hatched featherless chicks like that. It’s extremely difficult to keep them warm enough.
He is even better now then when this pic was taken. I don't think he is fully out of the woods yet, but I am thrilled w/ his progress so far.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:epA featherless chicken? What if it gets picked on or mated with? Won't it be prone to sunburn, and skin problems, and cold? We ended up getting rid of ours because they were picked on so severely and the roosters loved the one girl so much she ended up having her skin gouged out on the base of her neck, and near her crop. If it is a girl won't the roosters destroy her back, they can mess a feathered girl up pretty badly, and if is is a male wont it get very messed up with out any protective feathers if he gets in a fight? Ours ended up with a pretty bad sunburn every spring and they had light skin instead of dark.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The males do not have spurs. I am thinking about some of the issues and some problem solving solutions, have several things in mind. I do not think sunburn is an issue, that is the reason for the Fm (dark skin) gene, and my chickens don't spend a lot of time in the sun they seek out shade all the time. The chicks are not picking on him now b/c of not having feathers.

The naked chicken (s) will have a separate area coop and run w/ special consideration for their needs. While I just have the one it will house that one and a couple of selected NN based on personality and gender.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kassaundra, you might want to contact Dr. Bramwell and chat with him about your featherless bird. I recently went to one of his talks and he mentioned his featherless birds and how difficult they were. He might give you some hints and advice on how to manage yours. That might include how to breed them to get more. You can get his e-mail from this link.

http://poultryscience.uark.edu/4633.php

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@Kassaundra That is really cool. You will keep us updated? I can't wait to see him/her an adult. Did you intentionally breed, or have certain birds bred to produce him/her or was it just a neat surprise?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
IMO a featherless chick would be too much trouble to keep healthy and alive. My 17 EE hens are getting beat up by only 6 roosters. I'm about to take pictures and sell 5 of my layers, and they better be the ones with most of their feathers.

Latest posts