What's in your flock?

Masoud

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
image.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, why don't I live close to you guys who have speckle sussex's? I want one soooo bad. :hit My goal is to hopefully start a new flock with chicks towards the end of the summer. One of those will definitely be a speckle sussex. But it's so hard to wait!

Mary

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Charging camera batteries up now. I need to take some new pics. Right now, I have 2 blue egg layers....but the game mix pullet is slacking. Lucky for her she will hopefully get to be one of the broodies. If she doesn't want to contribute eggs to the fridge...then she needs to hatch babies. :lol: Or, come to supper. ;)

I didn't get to take any science classes in HS. So, I am starting from scratch here. But I do know pea comb dominates over single comb, who the daddy is for the grey legs, and a few other basics. I am learning ...lol

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Moxies, I fully understand. Its almost warm enough to get started. In a few minutes I'll go put 5 chickens in the freezer. One is an older hen that has not fulfilled her obligations. And like you, broodies get special dispensation from me. I like my broodies.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hehehe ridgerunner.....they have no idea how lucky they are. The one pullet is a little snot, too curious, and way too smart. She just hasn't established her place yet...so she is still with the main flock. Once she goes broody, she will have her own little chicken tractor to raise babies in. My first flock was all games. Pure games. All they did was be broody....mostly sit on one egg, or golfball. Never did get any babies though. I had about 3 psycho hens that destroyed the nests with the eggs. Temper tantrums as such. We tried to cook and eat them. OMG...couldn't even cut the meat with a knife, nor scissors...after stewing for 4 hours. :he
Almost found out too late that we needed to keep some game hens for broodies. None of our PR or the one BR go broody. And I refuse to use an incubator.

Latest posts