What's in your flock?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep me in mind. Calling my EEer's egg green is being overly kind. I would love to have some more colorful eggs than beige, brown, and off white.

Speaking of mixed breeds (and some of you were) how would I get a small-egg layer from parents that were a mix of Australorp and Lt. Brahma? My newest layer, Thing 2, lays pingpong-sized eggs of a rich brown color. Not quite like either parents' breed did.

Being newer at laying, she is the most dependable, although, overall egg production has been picking up with the longer days.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Some of my NN's lay green. I'm going to start a batch to hatch soon hoping to get more NN that lay green.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Red, just give me a little notice when you are ready to incubate some. It will take a few days to collect how many you want. I'll start saving then so they'll be as fresh as possible. We can talk.

I'm sure you know pullet eggs start small and get bigger. Let's just get that out of the way. I don't know what causes that. I've had it happen tome before too. There are a several different genes involved in egg laying. I guess sometimes they just come together wrong.

Kassaundra, when I read that I think of some of the posts I see on the chicken forum from people that argue that all Easter Eggers are white or that they all have the same appearance. For some reason a NN Easter Egger strikes me as funny when I think of them.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would like to be included in your kind offer if you have enough to spread around that far Ridge. Timing would depend on Sweetpeas broodiness. Although a few of my BLR Wyandottes have been lingering in the nest box until I push them out to roost at dusk, Sweetpea is an excellent mama and I trust her to do it right.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thing 2 has been laying since mid-September, so it's more than pullet problems. Except for being smaller, hers are a good color, well-shaped, and even better, dependable. I'll not be complaining. It just seemed a tad unusual to me.

While I incubated Nesco, (in a Nesco roaster) I'd much prefer to let Hilda do all the work so I'll let you know when she goes broody. Just about any month that starts with a capital letter is a good time for her, so it shouldn't be very long. My hens are waking up to a touch of spring fever about now.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thing 2 has been laying since mid-September, so it's more than pullet problems. Except for being smaller, hers are a good color, well-shaped, and even better, dependable. I'll not be complaining. It just seemed a tad unusual to me.

While I incubated Nesco, (in a Nesco roaster) I'd much prefer to let Hilda do all the work so I'll let you know when she goes broody. Just about any month that starts with a capital letter is a good time for her, so it shouldn't be very long. My hens are waking up to a touch of spring fever about now.
I have a Thing 1 and 2 also

thing.jpg
thing1.jpg

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thing 1 is a roo. He is expected to be invited to Sunday dinner soon. Since he hatched at the same time as Thing 2, he is already older than he should be.

Latest posts