What's in your flock?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, it is sooooo hard to wait though. Especially when I go to the feed store and tell my husband I just HAVE to look at the chicks. Unfortunately, we are limited to 6 in Alameda. Otherwise, I would definitely get them in the spring and have my layers also.

Mary
Mary, Since the chickens that you currently have just may be invited to a hot tub party come molting time :cool:... check to see if you are allowed to have replacement chicks at the same time as the 6 chickens that you are allowed. Around here chicks don't count as what you are allowed as a maximum to have. ;)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, Since the chickens that you currently have just may be invited to a hot tub party come molting time :cool:... check to see if you are allowed to have replacement chicks at the same time as the 6 chickens that you are allowed. Around here chicks don't count as what you are allowed as a maximum to have. ;)
Wow, bobm, you are lucky that they don't count. I'm pretty sure ours do. All of our chicken community have 6 or less. So they must be right. Ok, I know someone who has more and is out of compliance. Because of my preschool, I don't dare receive a complaint otherwise licensing would tell me to get rid of them.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, bobm, you are lucky that they don't count. I'm pretty sure ours do. All of our chicken community have 6 or less. So they must be right. Ok, I know someone who has more and is out of compliance. Because of my preschool, I don't dare receive a complaint otherwise licensing would tell me to get rid of them.

Mary
Well, just do a ring a ding ding to the city/ county and get the real info from the horse's mouth. You just might get lucky ! :caf

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had a rooster that definitely was not fertile. He was a year old and in with a variety of different breed hens. First hatch, 1 of 20 hatched (and then died). Second hatch I got a better incubator and 1 of 30 hatched. She lived! The rooster was also a jerk, so he is gone now.

Regarding the limit of 6 chickens, - I would not like that at all, but sometimes I wish there were some kind of limit here, because I don't appear to be capable of imposing limits on myself! Crazy chicken math is out of control!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do these count, they will be "in the flock" in 21 days (all naked necks)

DSC_0405.JPG

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look a lot like mine Kassaundra. Various shades of blue and green as well as different shades of brown though mine are not Naked Necks. You understand you have now committed to photos in about 22 days?

I put 24 out of an original 28 into lockdown this morning so my young rooster was doing his job. Even 2 of the bad ones were fertile but they stopped. Hope you have even more success.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Those look a lot like mine Kassaundra. Various shades of blue and green as well as different shades of brown though mine are not Naked Necks. You understand you have now committed to photos in about 22 days?

I put 24 out of an original 28 into lockdown this morning so my young rooster was doing his job. Even 2 of the bad ones were fertile but they stopped. Hope you have even more success.
:fl for a good hatch for you.

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I currently have 3 Columbian Wyandottes, 3 Black Copper Marans, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 3 Black Austrolorps, 2 Blue Andalusians, 1 Silver Phoenix, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Black Star, 3 Welsummers, 5 Easter Eggers, and 3 Speckled Sussex. I also have 4 ducks- 2 Cayugas and 2 Golden 300s. I have 6 more ducks on the way- 2 White Crested, 2 Blue Swedish, and 2 Welsh Harlequins.

Latest posts