What's New?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@XtreemLee has a new garden on new ground! It will only be my 3rd year on the Garden Extension ground. I'm still finding my footing over there. One thing I'd like to do is orient the rows, north/south. That will be an improvement for growing and make more ground available (like that's something I need ;)). It isn't necessary for getting that ground into beds but I think the north/south thing is even more important for plants in beds.

The property owner, neighbor and tractor guy should be okay with this but I will need to discuss this with each. For one thing, tractor will have to drive outside the garden to do the tilling - instead of leaving something of a mess on 3 sides of the Extension as he does now.

Wow! That's about it?? Re-orient about a third of the gardening? ... um, I've got a total of 3 new tomato varieties for the year ... there are the ongoing grow-outs in the tomato patch ... I'm curious to see if my C. maxima squash cross-pollinated (can't buy the La Madera seed this year) ... a new variety of sweet corn (Native Gem) ... um, need to figure out how to make use of the new, electronic pressure cooker ... Dang, I'll have to remember to get my sugar beets planted so that I can make syrup!

What's New With You?

Steve
who continues to struggle not to allow new phone to out-smart him!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I guess the only thing really new here is the extra garden space I still have under black plastic. Have been hoping for several warm sunny days in a row to help with the solarization, but we have had so much rain here; I noticed webs between my toes last night.
I don't intend to till up the new area, but just dig the rows by hand, and amend the soil a lot with compost and chicken litter. I'm considering putting the Big Beef tomatoes out there.
I am thrilled with how my indoor starts look. Marconi Peppers are so green and sturdy, as are the tomatoes. All the early cole crops are out in the garden already, and have survived at least two freezes, but not without some damage.
Oh, I am trying a new pole bean this year.....uh....Fordex? I remember, Steve, you saying you weren't impressed with them in your climate. I guess we'll see how they do in heat, humidity, and kinda alkaline soil.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
New? I purchased an old trailer this morning. It will serve as the base for my new coop -- movable from the neighbors' back yard to near my house for winter care -- and therefore a non-taxable building.

I've been trying to draw the new coop design I want. Phooey! I'm no good at that. I can see it in my mind, though.

Now to get my son to tote it home. . .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Marconi seed didn't germinate very well ... I won't complain because Giant Marconi came through just fine. If we have the heat again this year (but without the wind :rolleyes:) it might be a good pepper year. However, there isn't one new variety ...

I've gotta new wood fence. After following the bamboo fencing ideas, I'm not quite as excited about it but it looks better than the old one by a dang sight!

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
My new thing is "dry farming" my tomatoes. Three plants that I planted several weeks ahead of the others are twice as big, the other 4 I'm tempted to water them. It has rained a couple of days here so I know they are fine. My other new thing is trying the Back to Eden gardening. I really didn't have enough compost but we'll see how the garden does. I was able to get free wood chips locally so I was thrilled with that. Everything looks so tidy. :)

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have some new varieties of hot pepper this year, and I'm planting escarole for the first time ever, and a beautiful new sweet pea is in the works, maybe for a container by the front door....haven't fixed on a plan yet for that. Those new "Things" were all compliments of Hot Pepper Queen, Nyboy, and Ninnymary, respectively. Oh! And two new varieties of tomatoes bred by Marshall. Thanks guys! :love

Another new this year is a gardening class for the 7 neighbor kids as part of my MG volunteer time. I'm excited about that! I haven't gardened with kids for quite awhile now. Should be fun.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
New peppers for me, poblano and sweet ruby. My new lavender starts are looking good, Lavance Purple, zone 5 hardy so I will need to find the right spot.

Not totally new, but special that I remembered after several years, :rolleyes:..I started some coral nymph salvia, love them! and so do the hummers!

My niece and a couple of friends are coming to help me clear out part of the perennial bed by the veg garden. That might be the new spot for tomatoes or I may be trying cantaloupe there. Less green beans and more carrots and beets. Most exciting, my garlic is growing! :woot
Also, looking forward to a new patio, and hopefully some help with that.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have garlic for the first time since the 70's! I guess I shouldn't overstate that since I have no idea if there is a difference between one variety of garlic and another. Yes, I guess I've got it bad for shallots and garlic will really need to throw a sales pitch ;).

@marshall is responsible for much of the excitement in the tomato patch. One new variety is his Amy Sue ... and, I'm growing Lemon Boy to compare with his General Mischief.

I should say that there will be new beans this year, thanks to @marshallsmyth . I'm also looking forward to a return engagement of Russ' Illinois Snap.

:) Steve

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@digitS' , I ordered garlic from the nursery here last Summer. A few types they recommended for this area are Music, Japan, and Chesnor Red, so I'm trying all three. I planted some many years ago but I think it was not hardy enough, don't really have a good excuse why I have not tried it again. It's the only thing we have to purchase for our salsa, so maybe not this year. :fl

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another new this year is a gardening class for the 7 neighbor kids as part of my MG volunteer time. I'm excited about that! I haven't gardened with kids for quite awhile now. Should be fun.

That sounds fun! I miss doing things like that with the daycare kids. They would get so excited when their plants would come up. They had their own space in the garden and a little flower bed by the sandbox.

Do you have a specific topic picked out, or general gardening?