What's New?

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Can't do garlic here. DH is highly allergic to garlic, mushrooms, soybeans, and a few other things.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can buy sunflower bird seed very cheaply. When you soak it wait until you see some sprouting and then just plant normally. Don't forget to thin the seedlings to get giant plants.

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ours is a smaller bag of black oil sunflower seeds. When I get those kind, I sprout them to make winter fodder for the chickens.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I buy BOSS in 50 pound bags for the birds. That's a great idea to use that also.
I should have thought of that before buying several $1.89 seed packets.
:\

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' As I understand there are 2 basic sorts of garlic which grow slightly differently, hard and soft. So those 2 kinds should show some definite differences. I haven't grown garlic since the early 70's, but it was the kind that could be braided and dried like that. My sister Laurie did that. Made her kitchen have a great smell because she also had other herbs drying in there, even things like Goldenseal. The Comfrey was added to the dog's food and ole Beam gobbled it down.

You'll love Amy Sue's tomatoes. Good sized Italian type tomatoes that are half Marianna's Peace and half Giant Syrian. The plants are strong, and well grown, some might even perennialize if brought indoors and cut back. The tomatoes are both strong and sweet flavored.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
"..I'm trying to keep it low-key this year so I can manage it all. So nothing particularly exciting and new..."

Somehow, that list does sound new and exciting, @journey11 ! Even the banty coop sounds fun :).

I was looking at a little coop in the Lehman catalog that came yesterday and thinking, "why did they put those big chickens in there? It would be perfect for banties!"

Steve

I love looking through the Lehman's catalog, but I'm afraid I could go broke trying to be more frugal and self-sufficient. :p So many cool things in there.

Here's hoping that smaller chickens=smaller coop=less work! After what I put DH through with the last two, I think I am on my own with this one.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank You, @marshallsmyth :).

DW wanted to know if we were tossing the Lehman's as soon as it arrived ... No! At least, I'll get some ideas. A non-electric, $90 drip coffee maker ... good goobly goop! After 20yrs of use, why did I throw that thing away (20 years ago ...)?

@journey11 , if you need more ideas - I've got some, for a chicken coop. It's fun noodling on our own and seeing things take shape but, if'n you get pressed for time, or anything.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 , if you need more ideas - I've got some, for a chicken coop. It's fun noodling on our own and seeing things take shape but, if'n you get pressed for time, or anything.

Steve

I'm always up for good ideas! :) I spent probably 4 months planning out my A-frame layer coop/tractor and I have been tickled with everything about it except that they won't use the roll-out nest boxes. I've got to make some modifications there when I have time, but for right now they are faithfully using a square frame filled with bedding that I tucked into the corner by the clean-out door. There's always a bit of tweaking to do, I guess.

I am thinking I will set the banty coop in a permanent location. Ava only has 4 Golden Seabrights right now, but I'd like it to hold about a dozen banties.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
new to me is starting garlic bulbils in the house, i've never grown the bulbils before! my laundry room smells all garlic like now that they're sprouting in there. my full sized cloves were planted in the yard and those are all sprouting about an inch or two now.

i started flower seeds this year and i noticed the marigolds, cosmos and some toadflax/snapdragons are sprouting. i'm waiting for the carnations and a few others to sprout but so far no sign of them. could be they are old seed and not viable anymore.

i have a few new varieties of veggies, Gustus Brussels Sprouts, Limba broccoli, New Ace sweet pepper, Peacework sweet pepper, Chu Chu eggplant, Nadia eggplant, Swallow eggplant, Raavayya eggplant, Camelot Shallots, and how could i not resist some new to me heirloom tomatoes.