Growing
If you grow them would you do it again?
Anything else I should know

TIA

Don

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well I was a little surprised that I didn't get a single reply to this topic, with all the great gardeners in the south east.
Maybe I should rethink buying some trees. I was hoping to get an opinion other than the seller..oh well I will stick to apples and pears

Don

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When I was little, my grandmother called the fruit of the Passion Flower vine a "PawPaw." I have never seen (that I know of) or tasted a Paw Paw from a tree. I am sorry I can't help you.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This be Babygirl and HER PawPaw.......Sorry, that's all I "got".

6615_pa230102.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
gardentoad said:
I just heard of these today, would like some first hand info

Taste
Growing

TIA

Don
poor man's banana, best after frost, never have not fond of banana's; my folks would pick them from wild and use them

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
gardentoad said:
I just heard of these today, would like some first hand info

Taste
Growing

TIA

Don
Don, here's a little discussion on teg that may help you out a bit. You can find more by typing Paw Paw into the search tab at the top of the page.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=30913

tropicalplanttom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi Don - bit of a late addition I know, but have only just joined the forum and spotted your title.

I have planted paw paw many times (UK based - so strictly for indoor ornamental use only), and have tried a couple of different types from seed, including one which was advertised as 'hardy', but have had a great deal of difficulty in getting young plants to survive. Germination was straightforward, but the plants rot extremely easily. Have lost quite a few plants in the same way, using different soils types, different approaches to waters (from plenty to almost none!), and different locations both home and office! Very dispiriting as I am a bit of a tropical plant enthusiast.

Just so happens my dad has worked in horticulture in the tropics for many years, and have asked him pretty much the same questions as you've asked, in the light of my failures, and my understanding is that even in their natural habitat they are not a very robust tree anyway and will often disease and die with little obvious cause.

There's my little contribution (and sorry it is so negative :-(

Tom.

Latest posts