What's the problem? Tomato and pepper failure

Sunsaver

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
cityfarmer, scab is just ugly bumps and black spots all over your potatoes, but if you like pretty little red new potatoes with your green beans, you'll have to peel them. I've also gotten scab so bad that it was more like black cavities the size of a quarter. And the yield will be greatly reduced if you have too much nitrogen for your potatoes. I've learned to plant potatoes in poor, sandy soils with the addition of ashes from my wood stove. Onions, greens, and curcurbits go into nitrogen rich soils.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well Snewman, even tho' this year was a bust it's my humble opinion that your garden next year is going to super productive. I have used llama doo, and I love it. Everywhere I have spread it the plants grow super abundantly. So don't be too discouraged, just start planning next years awesome garden! :)
edited to add - I put llama doo on my peas year before last and they fed the neighborhood!

Be careful with ashes unless you know your soil pH, it will raise the number as it is an alkaline additive.
Potatoes grow best in a slightly acidic soil.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Sunsaver said:
cityfarmer, scab is just ugly bumps and black spots all over your potatoes, but if you like pretty little red new potatoes with your green beans, you'll have to peel them. I've also gotten scab so bad that it was more like black cavities the size of a quarter. And the yield will be greatly reduced if you have too much nitrogen for your potatoes. I've learned to plant potatoes in poor, sandy soils with the addition of ashes from my wood stove. Onions, greens, and curcurbits go into nitrogen rich soils.
Thanks--I think we had a mild case of scab for a couple of years. Once we started with a whole new crop, not saving any from the previous year to plant, it seemed to go away.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hope you keep on gardening. I was remembering that our last raised bed didn't produce much for the first couple of years. We think that the "gourmet dirt" that we bought and carted back wasn't as gourmet as we thought or the sheep manure was still too hot. Now it produces just fine.

snewman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
While I feel discouraged and frustrated right now, I'm sure next spring I'll be itching to plant, so I'll probably get suckered in again. Maybe just a little smaller. At least now I don't feel like I need to keep working on the garden this year. It can just do its thing, or not, and I'll see what happens next year.

Latest posts