What's the right temp for rendering lard?

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's time to render lard again (we usually save it in the freezer until we're ready) and I'm wondering if I should use a lower temperature this time.

I use a large roasting oven. I think I've used 325 degrees Fahrenheit in the past and I got some sticking to the sides of the pan. I'd like to see if I can get a milder lard this time since we use most of it for baking. I have read that a lower temperature can help but how low is too low? The melting point of lard is around 120, but I would guess 225 might be a practical minimum. Is there a point at which a lower temp prolongs the process and results in a stronger flavor again?

What has worked well for you?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's time to render lard again (we usually save it in the freezer until we're ready) and I'm wondering if I should use a lower temperature this time.

I use a large roasting oven. I think I've used 325 degrees Fahrenheit in the past and I got some sticking to the sides of the pan. I'd like to see if I can get a milder lard this time since we use most of it for baking. I have read that a lower temperature can help but how low is too low? The melting point of lard is around 120, but I would guess 225 might be a practical minimum. Is there a point at which a lower temp prolongs the process and results in a stronger flavor again?

What has worked well for you?
So how to cook a pork shoulder 101?
We use 203f as a target for the collagen and other components that make lard what it is to break down and run out of the meat, though lord knows its a fatty cut even then. My thought is boil it so the water and oil separate and it is less work. A pressure cooker cannot process as much but pressurized steam is faster.

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So how to cook a pork shoulder 101?
We use 203f as a target for the collagen and other components that make lard what it is to break down and run out of the meat, though lord knows its a fatty cut even then. My thought is boil it so the water and oil separate and it is less work. A pressure cooker cannot process as much but pressurized steam is faster.
Thanks @Dirtmechanic. I hadn't thought of it like cooking pork. When I smoke a pork butt I target 185-190 but I get impatient when it plateaus around 160 and sometimes I pull it early.

I have added a little water before but I'm not sure if want to boil it. Though that might render a mild lard I do still want the cracklins when I'm done. I don't know if I would get good cracklins after boiling.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I melt lard on top of the stove on medium low heat. As it melts, I pour it off and strain it through cheese cloth placed in a large mesh strainer. It is white and practically tasteless. I pour it in another pot until I have it all melted. Then I heat it up. I pour it in clean quart jars and cap them. As the lard cools, the lids pop, sealing it.

As the lard cooks down further to the bottom, I turn up the heat a little and get the last of the lard melted. The last quart is generally more strong tasting. I don't mix it with the other melted lard. I reserve that for frying meat. I freeze the cracklins in one cup baggies. I like them reheated in an iron skillet, cheese melted on top and a splash of soy sauce.

I love lard for pie crust, it is so flaky. The way I melt it slowly and keep pouring it off results in a almost tasteless lard.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks @Dirtmechanic. I hadn't thought of it like cooking pork. When I smoke a pork butt I target 185-190 but I get impatient when it plateaus around 160 and sometimes I pull it early.

I have added a little water before but I'm not sure if want to boil it. Though that might render a mild lard I do still want the cracklins when I'm done. I don't know if I would get good cracklins after boiling.
With rendering pots being large cast iron over a fire I suspect it took more time than temperature. Also shoot for 203 on the butts. Try a sugar cure, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup sugar, overnite, brush it off and toss it on the smoker. It is the basis for momofuko's bo samm recipe, so everybody will hush and try it because they have no idea about korean bbq.

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
With rendering pots being large cast iron over a fire I suspect it took more time than temperature. Also shoot for 203 on the butts. Try a sugar cure, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup sugar, overnite, brush it off and toss it on the smoker. It is the basis for momofuko's bo samm recipe, so everybody will hush and try it because they have no idea about korean bbq.
Thanks - that sounds amazing!

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I melt lard on top of the stove on medium low heat. As it melts, I pour it off and strain it through cheese cloth placed in a large mesh strainer. It is white and practically tasteless. I pour it in another pot until I have it all melted. Then I heat it up. I pour it in clean quart jars and cap them. As the lard cools, the lids pop, sealing it.

As the lard cooks down further to the bottom, I turn up the heat a little and get the last of the lard melted. The last quart is generally more strong tasting. I don't mix it with the other melted lard. I reserve that for frying meat. I freeze the cracklins in one cup baggies. I like them reheated in an iron skillet, cheese melted on top and a splash of soy sauce.

I love lard for pie crust, it is so flaky. The way I melt it slowly and keep pouring it off results in a almost tasteless lard.
I like the idea of drawing off lard as it renders. With the roaster oven I usually ladle it off as I go, but now I'm wondering if I could use our stream juicer (Mehu Maija) to do the job.

Will try the cracklins with cheese and soy sauce for sure!

Latest posts