What's the story, morning glory?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Heavenly Blue morning glories are finally blooming! I have a few that are taking over my porch (planted them there for evening shade) that are making buds, but still waiting on the bloom. I was beginning to wonder if they were going to make it before frost. I did plant them about a month later than I could have, but man, they've made me wait forever!

DSCF4511_web.jpg

DSCF4512_web.jpg

I've been really happy with my flowerbeds this year. I hadn't put so much effort into them in the previous 2 summers we've lived here because there's been so many things needing done as we've settled in.

DSCF4516_web-1.jpg

I put in a new flowerbed between the house and the garage this year. The spot just begged for color. The grass was a real pain in the behind to get rid of though. The rock path in the background is new too.

DSCF4492_web.jpg

This petunia is one I grew from seed that I saved from one that serendipitously popped up in my garden last year and it came back true. I like it a lot and it seems to have carried over the "wave" growing habit. I guess you'd call it a "silver" color.

DSCF4481_web-1.jpg

I planted lots of Angel Trumpets (datura) around this side porch where we mostly come and go from the house. They open at night and if the day is not too hot they'll stay open most of the day. They smell wonderful!

DSCF4483_web-1.jpg

These are some "Christmas Lights" ornamental peppers I grew from seed I found at the fairgrounds. They make for such nice fall color. I didn't expect them to bush out so large though.

DSCF4484_web.jpg

Here's my bamboo "tee-pee" of scarlet runner beans I got in a trade from HiDelight (miss you on here HiD, wherever you are!) All my neighbors are begging me for seeds from them.

DSCF4488_web-1.jpg

Don't know why most people shun Cypress Vine. I know it can be invasive, but if you plant it where you can easily hit the seedlings with the lawnmower or weedeater, I think it's striking color contrast is so worth it. Mine is on my fenceline. The hummingbirds seem to like it too.

DSCF4480_web.jpg

My garden is really winding down now. I still have peppers and eggplants going strong. A few tomatoes are left that I didn't pull out. I had a lot of trouble this year with some wierd pink fungus that caused the fruit to rot so quickly. :/ My beans are really putting out. I've been picking about 6 gallons every few days. I've cut a lot of bouquets off the sunflowers and gave many away, so they are still blooming for me. The birds are enjoying the free food. About 3/4 of my garden I've tilled under and planted buckwheat for my bees for some late fall forage. I LOVE to look out on the wild morning glories climbing my corn/pole beans. (They are still unconquered dispite constant weeding.) The color is really something else, eyepopping shades of violet and pink.

DSCF4452_web-1.jpg

DSCF4462_web-1.jpg

Well, that is what's still growing in my neck of the woods. I hadn't posted much on here lately (been really quiet on here, we're all so busy harvesting!) Thought I'd share a few pics. :)

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Beautiful! Someday I would love to have such a nice flower garden. Someday...when I have water, and soil, and less hungry bunnies devouring everything in sight...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing could be more aptly named than:

Heavenly Blue Morning Glories!

A very nice picture of them and of everything, Journey.

Steve :cool:

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! My cheapie camera really can't capture the dreamy shade of blue that they are as seen in person. :p

I know, Ariel! You and Rebbetzin really have a tough time of it out there in AZ! And here I am cryin' over too much rain (and the fungus and mildews that come with it).

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've spent most of the Summer trying to get rid of my perrenial morning glory. The D$%& stuff grows back faster than I can cut it.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love the pics, Journey! Those blue are my favorites too! My other colors have been blooming for months and the blues just started. Worth the wait, though! Your gardens look like mine with the morning glories crawling up everything! Just the way I like it! I am a big fan of the angel trumpet too! They really smell wonderful! Do they reseed for you in zone 6? Mine do on occasion, but I usually have to replant in zone 4. Enjoy all that beauty!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I've spent most of the Summer trying to get rid of my perrenial morning glory. The D$%& stuff grows back faster than I can cut it.
Hoodat, I didn't know there was a perennial morning glory, so I looked it up. They said field bindweed is also perennial. :ep Not sure why, because I've seen it around, but that's one weed that I've not (yet) been cursed with in my garden. I guess there are a few colorful perennial morning glories, but I couldn't find a pic of one. The purple and pink ones in my garden are not perennial, but I tell you what--I've pulled them up faithfully for 3 years now and they still manage to sneak in. By this point in the season, I've pulled enough of them to keep them from choking everything out, but there's always a couple hiding in among my tomatoes or corn and you don't realize they are there until they bloom. I think they must go to seed very quickly or the seed lives in the soil for many years and pops up the second you cultivate. Just can't seem to get them ALL. :th

Lesa, I'm not sure yet how easily the datura will reseed itself. This is my first year growing it, although it's a favorite in my mom's garden. She always saves her seed by hand, so I'm guessing that it probably doesn't. She got her start from my grandma when she lived in TX, and it is more hardy there and can even overwinter, as I understand it.

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Beautiful flowers journey! Thanks for sharing....I'll have to post some of my pics too once things wind down (if ever :p )....

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow Journey.... everything looks GORGEOUS!!!

I am jealous, everything is fizzling out here now... even my cone flowers look glum. :(

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Field bindweed and Perinnial Morning Glory are I believe one and the same thing. I have loads of the stuff here in my bush, but fortunately the goats love it and keep it under control.

I have noticed it spreading over onto areas of land I wish to cultivate for vegetables and flowers.

Short of using chemical, which I don't, I believe the only way is to keep pulling and getting out all the roots, which will take years, even a small piece of root left on the ground will produce more growth.

Journey - your pirctures are wonderful, I look forward to the day when my garden looks even half as nice.

Latest posts