what's wrong with my bush Cucumber?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Don't take it out. If you are a sprayer then I would spray it and the others. It doesn't look like the whole plant is hurt yet. You should still be able to pick until it all dies off if it will. The others may or may not be ok but that will depend on if they are protected or not.

Anny

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Don't take it out. If you are a sprayer then I would spray it and the others. It doesn't look like the whole plant is hurt yet. You should still be able to pick until it all dies off if it will. The others may or may not be ok but that will depend on if they are protected or not.
spray it with what??

How do I protect the others?

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You have to be careful in spraying. Plants like these (cukes - zukes - squash - gourds - etc) need a pollinator. If you spray and kill the good bugs you will never get much out of your plant.

I spray mine with malathon but I only spray the main trunk and around the ground under it. I try not to spray leaves and never ever spray the flowers. You can try and see if this will help the dying one and also use it to protect the still healthy ones.

Hobby

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just uprooted six of my cucumbers for the same reason. They all got tossed to the chickens. They were close to my beautiful squash plants, so I expect that I will have problems there also. Its a shame, if it happens, because I have never, in my life, grown such big, beautiful squash plants! My mother has gardened all her life and she said she had never seen anything like them. If the darn digital camera wouldn't eat every battery alive in ten seconds, I would show you guys what I mean.....<sigh!> :hit I guess I'll be crying over them soon, as I have determined not to use any pesticides in the garden this year.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Is it possible the roots got damaged when hoeing for weeds? Something sure hit that plant hard.

If it is diseased, with a blight or mildew, I wouldn't compost it, I would burn it, or dispose of it in the garbage. It's not a great idea to compost any diseased pants, or you may have the problems in your garden for years to come, as the spores can continue to live in the soil.

Latest posts