Whats wrong with my squash?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Only a few of the 110 plants have this... but they are the bigger plants and it makes me mad! What can I do about it, and what is it!?
6215_june2010_062.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks like powdery mildew... The curse of squash and pumpkins!! I use a solution of 1 part milk, 10 parts water, a dash of soap, and a little veggie oil. Shake it up and spray on the leaves early in the morning. Not in the hot afternoon sun. Use every few days... I keep my bottle in the fridge, ready to go. One recommendation is to remove the affected leaves. I think I would do that with the really white leaf in your photo. This does not necessarily mean you won't have squash. Good luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its powdery mildew too. Definitely remove the infected.

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The milk and water combo works wonders, I had a bit of powdery mildew last season (and probably will again this season) on my zukes and the milk took care of it. Had to get rid of the affected leaves, though, even though I didn't get any *new* ones. The plant looked pretty bald for a while!

I also put down crushed egg shells and that seemed to help too.

In case you're wondering, the production of my mildewed plant kept right up with the others, so I must have gotten it early or it wasn't as bad as I thought it was!

Whitewater

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Neem oil does a great job on powdery mildew but the milk treatment is a lot cheaper and will not harm your predators or pollinators like bees and wasps.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well I got home to a huge T-Storm so wasnt able to spray the plants last night. And it was raining this morning too.... so I guess I will have to be armed and ready the second it stops cause it looks like with all the rain EVERYONE will have this stuff on them!!!

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No, its just the 4 of us, but I planted Summer Crookneck, Zuchinni, and 2 acorn varieties. We ran out of acorn really early last winter so I doubled up on that one cause the kids are sad about not having it all the time.

Latest posts