What's wrong with my tomatoes?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't think this is it after posting.

Bacterial wilt or Southern bacterial blight is a serious disease caused by Ralstonia solanacearum (formerly Pseudomonas solanacearum). This bacterium survives in the soil for extended periods and enters the roots through wounds made by transplanting, cultivation or insects and through natural wounds where secondary roots emerge. Disease development is favored by high temperatures and high moisture. The bacteria multiply rapidly inside the water-conducting tissue of the plant, filling it with slime. This results in a rapid wilt of the plant, while the leaves stay green. If an infected stem is cut crosswise, it will look brown and tiny drops of yellowish ooze may be visible.
Prevention & Treatment: Control of bacterial wilt of plants grown in infested soil is difficult. Rotation with non-susceptible plants, such as corn, beans and cabbage, for at least three years provides some control. Do not use pepper, eggplant, potato, sunflower or cosmos in this rotation. Remove and destroy all infected plant material. Plant only certified disease-free plants. The cultivar Kewalo is partially resistant to bacterial wilt, but is an uncommon cultivar. Chemical control is not available for this disease

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The idea of a tote makes me wonder:

Have the totes been moved around? Could the plants have root damage?

If it is just from movement, they should recover.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree with the others in that it looks like herbicide damage. Just a bit of drift in the air is probably enough. They can grow out of it if it is not too bad, But it will take a while for them to recover, I think.
That is so maddening! I feel for you. Good luck.

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. @digitS' the totes were not moved once I planted the tomatoes so I don't think that's what happened.
At this point, I believe the tomatoes somehow got just a little drift of herbicide from when they sprayed the road. I'm very lucky that it ONLY touched the tomatoes and not all the other susceptible plants that were near by. I will let them continue to grow, and hope they recover... but I'm figuring I'll have to buy tomatoes at the farmer's market if I want to have any Summer Spaghetti this year (a pasta salad that the whole family is addicted to-- and it doesn't work with anything other than true vine-ripe tomatoes; we wait all year for it.)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. @digitS' the totes were not moved once I planted the tomatoes so I don't think that's what happened.
At this point, I believe the tomatoes somehow got just a little drift of herbicide from when they sprayed the road. I'm very lucky that it ONLY touched the tomatoes and not all the other susceptible plants that were near by. I will let them continue to grow, and hope they recover... but I'm figuring I'll have to buy tomatoes at the farmer's market if I want to have any Summer Spaghetti this year (a pasta salad that the whole family is addicted to-- and it doesn't work with anything other than true vine-ripe tomatoes; we wait all year for it.)

Recipe please? :drool

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just curious...
Other than curled, knotted-up leaves - how are they doing? Could they still produce fruit?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, taking another look at a couple of my tomatoes that were heat stressed, I also noticed that the top growth and the suckers were not really affected and looked normal. Having seen 2,4-D damage on a few of my flowers this summer, the tight curling on the uppermost leaves is very similar to that. Those flowers did survive, but remained smaller and stunted.

britesea

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@canesisters , I do have a couple of small green tomatoes on them... It's been too hot for fruit set for the last week or so, so it's hard to say what will happen now.

@journey11 , I'll post the recipe in the Harvest thread.

Latest posts