What's wrong with these cucumbers

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MILs cucumbers aren't looking so hot.
She says they wilted but then perked back up. Is this just from being dry, or is it something else?View attachment 39912I would guess sunburn.
My MILs cucumbers aren't looking so hot.
She says they wilted but then perked back up. Is this just from being dry, or is it something else?View attachment 39912View attachment 39913View attachment 39911

View attachment 39913View attachment 39911

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
She says her zenias are doing it too and they didn't dry out

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks like sunburn.
Geez,

Could that be it? I mean, we have had a couple of 60°f days buuuutt Now the story is 55 mph+ wind gusts this evening and 27° by morning! There's even a chance of snow. If she is on the "Westside," could it be warm enough to have things outdoors? Or, is she in another neck of the woods?

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s definitely time to move them into #35 pots (3 1/2 inch) or bigger. Typically i move everything just before two tru leaves, contrary to what everyone tells us and find they move much easier and have never lost one! I have up-potted every thing i grow in the cotyledon stage for several years now.
im not a fan of those pressed cube thingies, they’re too tough and in my mind; impede root growth. I do use the small cell trays but with a good organic starting mix. (Coast of Maine seed starting mix)

some of the pressed cube‘s are advertised to “have everything your seed needs” in them and it could be the makeup of the cube has something to do with it? Beyond that im with @Ridgerunner, water and light!

i do use the 1 1/2 inch cells for everything up to Cuke seed size but beyond that simply start in the #35’s and save one round of up-potting.
with the cukes, im planting 5 seeds per #35 and will trim it to 3 per hill when they are planted out.
I would not put in a bigger pot until they have recovered more.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Geez,

Could that be it? I mean, we have had a couple of 60°f days buuuutt Now the story is 55 mph+ wind gusts this evening and 27° by morning! There's even a chance of snow. If she is on the "Westside," could it be warm enough to have things outdoors? Or, is she in another neck of the woods?

Steve

I could walk to her house if I wanted. :p temperature is currently 49F but they are inside, in these little plastic greenhouses, by natural sunlight. I suppose the greenhouses could magnify the sun and cause sunburn? Maybe?

Latest posts