Whats your favorite garden tool?

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My favorite is my little seed planter thingy. (that is the technical term) Switch the plates and it plants your seed the right spacing and you can adjust the depth, so just roll it along the ground. Man did it save my back the past few years!!:tools

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
peteyfoozer said:
My favorite is my little seed planter thingy. (that is the technical term) Switch the plates and it plants your seed the right spacing and you can adjust the depth, so just roll it along the ground. Man did it save my back the past few years!!:tools
Brought my Dad's home, I'm unimpressed. Doesn't plant corn deep enough, beans are OK, but it's tougher to push that thing through soil than to get on hands and knees and finger them in. I till my garden early then just plant whenever I feel like it. With seed crops, just place seed on top of dirt and push to desired depth.

So please explain why you like it so I can learn because I'm not doing something correct or just too stupid to get it.....been told that before.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Brought my Dad's home, I'm unimpressed. Doesn't plant corn deep enough, beans are OK, but it's tougher to push that thing through soil than to get on hands and knees and finger them in. I till my garden early then just plant whenever I feel like it. With seed crops, just place seed on top of dirt and push to desired depth.

So please explain why you like it so I can learn because I'm not doing something correct or just too stupid to get it.....been told that before.
Have you adjusted the thing on the bottom that breaks the soil? It plants ours deep enough just fine. I have used it for 3 years...but my soil has been tilled first. Maybe your ground is just too hard?? I can't really get on my hands and knees... RA prevents it. Without my 'thingy' we wouldn't have a veggie garden at all.

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think I could garden without one of these:

273102_front500.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jim, is your tool selection evolving?

You didn't mention that 3 prong cultivator, 18 months ago (click).

Those kinds of things go well with a stool/toobox, tho'. As far as kneeling, I'm getting beyond that :p. I forgot to take a stool when I was out in the garden this morning . . . after going around one 100sqft bed, I was all finished :rolleyes:.

Steve

JimWWhite

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I guess evolving is the right word. Yeah, I'll take my stool out and sit my butt down and use the claw to pull back some grass or weeds without breaking the soil too much and covering up any grass and missing it. Then I can pull it straight out, shake off the dirt, and toss it out into the open so it can be chopped up when I mow next. I've gotten pretty good with it in that I can weed an 8'x4' box in about twenty minutes. For those stubborn clumps I still have my little hand hoe that comes down to a sharp point. Nothing can stand in the way of it when I get going with it. That's one great thing about raised beds in that they are easy to weed if you don't let them go too far.

mabsonjackson

Sprout
Reaction score
My present preferred couple is my Stihl trimmers. They have a relaxed keep, the advantage secure doesn't get in the way, and they keep an advantage. Last Xmas my partner provided me a couple of Felco's which I was so thrilled about until I used them a bit. I think they're over ranked, and for the cost you can do much better. The advantage secure is so slim it is sometimes a two passed romance to secure and discover, seems to get yucked up too quickly .

Latest posts