What's your favorite way to cook asparagus?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know it seems astonishing to most of you that somebody has never actually cooked asparagus before.

We never got it growing up, dad liked it but mom said she couldn't handle the smell of it cooking. (?)

Dh said he never liked it when his mom made it.

So, I've never gone there.:\ But I'm guessing that all these bad experiences were from canned asparagus.

But I just bought some fresh today and need some ideas!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
In bacon grease fry lightly floured asparagus spears. In flour mix, mix salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Can broil them wrapped in bacon. Can also do. This on grill.

Mix with olive oil, broil spears. Before can mix salt, pepper, garlic powder in oil.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just roast them. Put on cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast in 400° till tender. I like mine a little firm. Place on serving dish and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and cover with a lid. This will melt the cheese in a couple minutes and keep your cookie sheet cleaner.

Mary

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
In bacon grease fry lightly floured asparagus spears. In flour mix, mix salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Can broil them wrapped in bacon. Can also do. This on grill.

Mix with olive oil, broil spears. Before can mix salt, pepper, garlic powder in oil.

We're grilling chicken tonight, so that grilling option sounds good Seed!

So do I brush the spears with oil and wrap them in foil and put on the grill?
Or do I wrap them in bacon after brushing with oil and grill them on the rack without foil?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
If u wrap in bacon, no grease needed.

In broiling them, it's quick as you will see some color change but center of asparagus still have a little bite to it.

Actually good, fresh asparagus tastes similar to green beans-uncooked both.

Great idea Mary, like the addition of cheese. Now if the southerners would share some of that heat, so my asparagus will come up!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ditto Red, fresh steamed until tender crisp (or a bit softer if FIL was coming!) Add a pat of fresh butter and serve. DH and boys like it fresh/raw from the garden. :drool

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fry a few pieces of bacon in an iron skillet. Cut asparagus in 2" pieces, add sliced fresh mushrooms and chopped (big chunks) onion and saute'. Crumble up the bacon over the vegetables and serve.

Latest posts