What's your favorite way to cook asparagus?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We just finished dinner and the asparagus is gone! Dh had seconds and said we should have it regularly.
I just roasted it, since I already had the oven hot, but will be trying out the other ways soon. Thanks!

As we were eating dh said it was the first time he'd eaten asparagus.
I just looked at him. "You said your mom used to make it...."
"She did", he said, "but I never ate it".

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just steam it until it's cooked, doesn't take long but I've slept since I did it so I can't remember exactly how long. It doesn't need to be real soft and mushy. Taste it regularly until it is the tenderness you want. After it's done add little salt and pepper. A small amount of butter is nice too but I try to not overdo the butter. Fresh picked asparagus doesn't need much help with herbs, spices, or other flavors for me.

We never grew asparagus either. What I remember was that awful stuff they served at school. Absolutely horrible. It took some courage to try it with those memories.

I noticed my first nub of asparagus just poking through this morning. It will take it a few days to get going but yeah, I'm ready.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We tried it a new way tonight, it was delicious! Added the asparagus to the half cooked brats in the cast iron frying pan and poured in a little extra beer. Easy and yummy, only one pan to clean up!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried roasting them recently and that is my favorite now. I do like Mary's, minus the parmesan. They get a sweet and buttery flavor to them that is lost if they are simmered in water.

I tried asparagus raw with dip this winter too and was really surprised how much I liked it that way.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle...the first thing you must do is start an asparagus bed!!! You simply have never had asparagus, until you have picked from your own garden! It is so delicious, all I do is steam for a very few minutes- remove from heat when it is still bright green, and enjoy. One of the best things about it, is it is very early. It is the first thing we eat from the garden. When we have our first bite, we imagine we have died and gone to heaven!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle...the first thing you must do is start an asparagus bed!!! You simply have never had asparagus, until you have picked from your own garden! It is so delicious, all I do is steam for a very few minutes- remove from heat when it is still bright green, and enjoy. One of the best things about it, is it is very early. It is the first thing we eat from the garden. When we have our first bite, we imagine we have died and gone to heaven!
AMEN :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

I think you're right, I've been scoping the yard for the best spot for a permanent bed. If I don't do it this year, I'll just be another year older when I do start one.

Umm... when do you start asparagus?

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is a crispy coated ( like union rings) baked, no salt, fat free recipe for asparagus that my wife makes that is just FABULOUS ! 1 bunch asparagus ( trimmed, washed, and patted dry) . Into a 1 gallon size plastic freezer baggie place... 1 cup of flour, season with a little black pepper and Mrs. Dash or any other spice or combo to taste. In a medium size bowl... seporate 2 egg whites and with a wisk beat until frothy, then add 3 heaping tablespoon fulls of Mayonaise and a dash of Worscestershire sauce then mix until all are evenly smooth . Into a pie pan or large dinner plate place 1 cup of Panco crumbs. Take the prepared asparagus and place a few asparagus spears at a time into the baggie and shake the baggie to coat. Then one at a time, place the flour coated spear into the Mayo mix and coat evenly, then place it into the Panco to coat it evenly. Next , place it onto a large baking pan lined with parchment paper. Repeat . Then , preheat oven to 350* and place the pan with the coated asparagus into oven and bake for 15 + / - min until light golden brown. Enjoy ! :drool

Latest posts