What's your new recipe for this year?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What did you try & have you tasted it yet? Was it a success or does it need tweaking?

Curious who's tried what his year.

For us we did pickled cherry tomatoes. They are canned and I'm waiting to try them. I found the recipe on a blog after looking for ideas on what to do with cherry tomatoes. They are still "maturing" will probably crack open a jar @ Thanksgiving or maybe Christmas & see how they turn out. Recipe sounded great & the brine smelled fabulous so hopefully it pans out.

Also have a pie recipe I'm antsy to make. It's a peaches & cream pie recipe. Basically it's peach custard pie. You roast the peaches to reduce the moisture (with a pinch of sugar on them so the pie sets up & isn't a soupy mess) slice them & line the pie with the peach slices. You add heavy cream, vanilla, some egg yolks & bake it off. Sounded crazy good. Saw the recipe when I was watching Cooks Country Kitchen. It comes on after the Victory Garden on our local PBS station so of course it sucks me in & after watching them make it I've gotta try it myself. I LOVE pie so it was a no brainer for me.

If you go to the cooks country website you can find the peaches & cream pie recipe for free just have to register with them (also free) for those who are interested.

So what did you try this year?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made candied cayenne peppers, pickled eggs and made up a recipe for lemon fig preserves. :drool I also dehydrated hash browns and those turned out real good too.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jarred you made me drool on the PC :drool that pie sounds divine.
Nothing new here. Still planning to try the spiced honey blueberry jam.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made a swedish apple pie a few weeks ago, WOW!! It sounds sort of like your peachs and cream pie, Jared. Except the apples are put in raw, then the eggy custard filling poured over. I deviated from the recipe (i can never seem to follow directions!) and made a roasted almond crumb topping for it, it was so divine!!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did the candied peppers too, and also tried pear butter this fall. Christmas in a jar! Yum.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if it ranks as a best of the year but Jacques Ppin's recipe for Instant Vegetable Soup was something that I was looking for - good healthy food, fast! Also, it may be adaptable to many ingredients. Altho' I've got a lot more time to cook something right now, I really like the idea that I might be able to prepare a lunch like that in 10 minutes.

Here it is again: (link).

Both of his books are here and I've skimmed thru them a couple times without seeing anything approaching this. I just picked up a book on Thai cooking (I'll return this silly thing on Indian dishes - sheesh, I need stock in a spice company). Now that I say that, I see in the introduction that the author says it is not a Thai cookbook. Instead, it reflects his efforts to re-create "real-deal" Thai flavors with ingredients available in the West. Well, okay by me - I'm just looking for peasant food.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The peaches are roasted to remove some of the moisture so the pie sets up correctly plus it intensifies the flavor. Hoping to get one made here soon to bring to deer camp.

NMG good call on the almonds that sounds great!

Interesting on the Thai dish Steve. Going to have to check that out. I really like Thai food/flavors too but without ordering spices off the internet I'm kind of hamstrung here too. Glad too see someone's adapting the flavors to western kitchens.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jared, the book is called "Pok Pok" ;).

It is named for his restaurant in Portland. I bet the idea came from the sound of chopping that helps you locate a food stand in many parts of the world. Or, it is onomatopoeia - just guessing here :p.

I got hung up in the introduction. He is an interesting guy and gives a look at, not only what it is like searching for food & recipes in Thailand, but starting a restaurant here at home :).

Steve

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, the new recipe that I will have to use again...and again...and again...SWEET pickles. Dew says so. Thanks Bay :p

Latest posts