What's your new recipe for this year?

Smithyard Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I tried something new last weekend. We made a rib eye roast; Made a rub with salt and pepper, thyme and garlic. placed in oven at 500 for 25 min and then turned the oven off....!! I never heard of this before, but a gal at work had told me about it. I kept it in the oven for about 2 hours or so. only thing I would do different would be to cut the potatoes up a little smaller. I think they would cook better.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smithyard Farm, I've heard of this type of cooking. In fact, I read that Garth Brooks' wife who is a celebrity chef puts her turkey in at midnight and it is done the next morning.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
That would be Trish Yearwood. She has a show on the food network (comes on right after the pioneer woman :) )
That's how my Mom always used to do her turkey. I think I'll try it next year instead of trying to time everything out just right.

New to me this year is Bay's sweet pickles (it was Bay wasn't it????) and homemade pasta. Oh, and pickle buts. :D

My sister was over on Thanksgiving and asked if I would PLEASE give her a jar of pickles. I told her to help herself to the cabinet and she held up a jar and asked "What is This supposed to be???" It was the ends of the cukes that I had made pickles from ... seemed a waste so I did them in a batch by themselves and jared up the 'pickle buts'. They are thicker than pickles, and have skin on one side so they have a nice CRUNCH. Not much good on sandwiches, but great on the side.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Canesisters, I'd like to try it too but I don't stay up that late. Wouldn't the turkey be cold by lunch time, if that's when you would have it? I would think it would dry out if you had to reheat it for later on.

Mary

Latest posts