Whats Your Weather, and your plans for today?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Vfem you and I are on the same wave length! I didn't read this until the sun was nearly down but . . .

I had a headache all morning - while I did touch-up painting in our remodeled bathroom. Contractors must have a firm law: "Never do more than what is written in the contract!" Even if they mess up their work, just go on to the next step. Maybe the damage can be covered with that final coat of paint.

Anyway, after finishing that and getting over my headache -- I went to work on the rails on the back steps. They have been a little wobbly since I rebuilt those steps 2 years ago. They got some new bolts.

So you see, Vfem, I was working on and working under almost the same set of circumstances.

It was a lovely day but I didn't get further than carrying tools out of the garage . . .

lupinfarm wrote:

It's 5*C (41*F) out and very sunny but also with winds at 10km/h

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weathe _savedcity
LupinFarm, that's a Canadian weather site but it has information on US towns! I checked the nearby airport: 9C with an expected overnight temperature of 3C and a 30% chance of rain tomorrow. Wind, SW 28 km/h . . . Oh, well, maybe I can do some transplanting in the greenhouse.

Steve

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rain... though before it started I did dig up some winter weeds from the garden spot and feed them to the chickens.

Crochet for the rest of the day.... OH and laundry, and dishes...

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It got up to 12 C here (what's that, like upper 40s F?), beautifully sunny, ground still TOTALLY sodden and puddley and splorky. Don't even ASK what the horse pastures are like :p

But today I did my first Actual Gardening of the year, woo hoo! I spent about a half hour clearing off dead stuff from the perennial bed in front of the house.

The earliest yellow crocus has been blooming since Sunday -- 26 blossoms today, despite nasty cold freezy weather and even an inch or two of snow over the past few days.

So there is hope! :)

Pat
Wasn't it just gorgeous Pat?! Actually Baldyhen died today and I was astounded that I was able to dig a grave for her! This time last year I was super frustrated that I couldn't get a post in the ground and today I dug down 2ft!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your hen. Boy, I sure couldn't dig a two INCH hole around here, let alone two feet. We are still up to our ears in melt and rainwater! Sheep fencing is going to have to wait a few months (I can put whatever I get into the chainlink 'kennel paddock' for now, fortunately)... right now, not only could I not dig a hole, the posts would float right back out if I *did* :p

Pat

hikerchick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Weather is cool but clear. And I am stuck in my cube until at least 5 or 6. grrrrrr

Happy to have a job, though, happy to have a job. Shouldn't complain! Springtime makes it difficult, though.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Sorry to hear about your hen. Boy, I sure couldn't dig a two INCH hole around here, let alone two feet. We are still up to our ears in melt and rainwater! Sheep fencing is going to have to wait a few months (I can put whatever I get into the chainlink 'kennel paddock' for now, fortunately)... right now, not only could I not dig a hole, the posts would float right back out if I *did* :p

Pat
LOL I gave up on trying to dig posts on my hillside. We moved our calf hut to the goat pasture yesterday to use as a run-in shelter for the goaties and found this ENORMOUS boulder hahaha.. huge... my neighbour is like "ahh you can put in paige wire fencing no problem, my auger will go through that" yeahhh I don't think so Isadore! I've got floating split rail buck fence with a heck of a lot of electric on it lol. Way cheaper than wire fencing and I can put it up in the middle of winter :D

I was super pleased that I could dig, that means I'll be able to put gates in for the goat pasture when I eventually get around to finishing the fence haha. I'm a slow worker. Lots of coffee breaks and the like. We've been lucky though, last year the bottom horse pasture was on the wet side and Luna was standing on an island of dry ground, this year its relatively dry except for around the gate and the hillside is completely dry. We're very well-drained despite having no drainage ditches lol.

Whitewater

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Today, here in the Great Frozen North, it's 35'F, and that is as warm as it's been all day!

Needless to say, no gardening is happening. I am hoping that my strawberries (which were growing new growth like gangbusters last week, when it was in the 50's) and apple tree (showing buds) and raspberry stalk (also budding) won't die 'cause of the cold.

It's supposed to get back into the warm temps in a day or so and then stay there, we'll see!

With luck we'll be able to get the tiller in the ground and get the weeds shoveled out and everything composted, turned over and ready to go in between Easter and Tax Day, and then start planting the chamomile, radishes, beets, and carrots. At the same time, I am going to order tomato and pepper plants and strawberries for an early May delivery.

I found it interesting to note that when we were there this past Mon to buy a new water heater for the house, that our local Home Depot has peppers, tomatoes, lavender, rosemary and a couple other warm-weather plants for sale already! When I saw that I couldn't help it and started to laugh -- these aren't bitty baby plants, they're ready to go in the ground! What were they thinking? We could still very easily get snow!

Needless to say, I'm not gardening yet. Though the baby plants in my basement are doing well, I thought I'd lost them all over the weekend when we didn't have any water in the house and they got all dry and wilty, but they've come back quite nicely, even the ones I swore had died. Still no Rainbow bell peppers sprouting, though. They get another week, and then I'm getting my money back! Even the chives sprouted before these dang ol' bell peppers!

Whitewater

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Whitewater said:
I found it interesting to note that when we were there this past Mon to buy a new water heater for the house, that our local Home Depot has peppers, tomatoes, lavender, rosemary and a couple other warm-weather plants for sale already! When I saw that I couldn't help it and started to laugh -- these aren't bitty baby plants, they're ready to go in the ground! What were they thinking? We could still very easily get snow!

Whitewater
They are thinking - people will buy plants, plant them - they will freeze - and then people will have to buy more plants. $$$ LOL :lol:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
TOO CCCCCOOOOOOLLLLDDD!!! Mother Nature gave us a few weeks of Spring, and then, slammed a cold driving rain at us that froze overnight--26 degrees!!!! :ep
I could not have put seeds in the ground this morning without a jackhammer.
Only warm-blooded, full-coated animals can handle THESE ups and downs.
Yesterday, I took my really dirty truck out and let the weather give it a bath. How's THAT for cheap and lazy? :lol:

BTW, I'm splitting my time between riding/training my 2 new horses and gardening/working on the yard. Peas are up, broccoli, brussel sprouts and cabbage seeds have sprouted under grow lights, and strawberry starts wanna go the front (glassed in, not heated, east-facing) porch to get hardened off.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
ARGH! Ducks that's horrible!!! What an evil tease that was.

(((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Then I won't complain how its slightly breezy and a cool 65! LOL
:lol:

Latest posts